Overbridge Delay Compensation?

Hey there folks and folkettes. Is there an easy way to run delay compensation on Overbridge in Ableton. Currently, the Digitakt has an audio delay (which varies) through overbridge. I have a plethora of external hardware. They are all in time with each other (audio) and with the project, however the delay from Overbridge is always slightly early or slightly late.

Ableton 10 (up to date)

1 Like

Same here with both Studio One and FLstudio. Overbridge is great but when multitracking external gear (which is my only workflow) i find myself disabling overbridge and use the outputs as audio in to get proper recordings. Suggestions very welcome for those daw’s too

1 Like

I’ve done some testing with FLStudio 20 and Ableton 10 Lite. It works in both BUT…

In FL Set up midi transport and arm and record a loop. I set to loop record mode and record audio into the playlist. I have found that it is way way way way off for each and every consecutive loop recorded it increases. The drift is unbelievable too. A 1 bar loop can be off by a lot.

In Ableton 10 set up midi transport, arm and record, if you are monitoring you can expect a delay from first hit for however ms delay you have going on. You can compensate for that in the settings. I’ve found that by unchecking monitor there is little to no delay in the recording and the midi is really tight between daw / interface and hardware.

Unless I’m doing something really wrong The latency compensation in FL does absolutely nothing. And that is a shame because believe me, I am an FL fanboy. It was my first piece of sequencing software back at v3.5 when it was like an 8 Chan midi step sequencer. It’s come a long long way and the value is unbeatable. 200$ and free updates for life? Come on! If you work in DAW only and use VST you’re good to go. More than you’ll ever need.

As I’ve gotten older and spent 15 years behind a kb staring at a screen 8-10 hours a day the last thing I want is to be f’ing around with a DAW and troubleshooting instead of making music. It’s unavoidable these days though, at some point you have to get it into the daw.

Best case is to simply record a full song that has been set up and sequenced with hardware so you can do some final mastering. Then you get progressively more involved the earlier you step into it. Tracking stuff in (where I’m at) leaves me damn frustrated because I don’t want to have to cut my loops (unless I’m cutting found sounds and loops for fodder) just to get to the arrangement process.

Wow that turned into a rant… sorry :grimacing:

2 Likes

You need to record on a track in Ableton that you ARE NOT MONITORING. Then there will be 0 delay. So create a copy, monitor one and record on the other.

2 Likes

I’ll test this tomorrow to confirm, but I’ve not noticed a delay when loop recording in FLS with DT.

Are you seeing the same synch deterioration when loop recording into Edison?

Best regards,

Gino

I just tested loop recording in FL Studio 20, and found that I get that modem like sound if I record short loops, but they are not in the Main output.

In this clip you’ll hear what happens on a 1 bar loop repeated 4 times, then a pause, then through the Main L/R.

The first set from track 1, and the 2nd set from track 3.

Here is a screen of the mixer showing the tracks, and I’ve hilighted that Track 3 is using the Main L/R for audio input.

DT-Record

I loop recorded these at the same time, and that is why both tracks are armed.

Best regards,

Gino

Just to add to this, I play these in a live setting, so I am not using this as a feature for recording (utilizing software compressors, fx, etcetera).