Overbridge Crashes MacOS?

I just got a Digitakt last weekend and tried to install Overbridge (I’m running Catalina 10.15.2). Everything was going fine and it was just like any other install. It finished and I had to restart my computer but whenever I tried to login, the load bar would take forever (I have a fast computer so it usually is up and running less than 30s after starting up) and then freeze at 100%. I had to get on the phone with apple support and eventually had to restore my entire computer (thank GOODNESS I’d done a time machine backup the night before). After I restored to the previous day’s backup, everything was fine, so it was definitely the Overbridge download that crashed my computer. Has anyone else had any similar experiences?

Are you using the newest version of Overbridge? 2.0.30? It was just released a few days ago and it provides Catalina support.

Yeah, it was the newest version. I had to double check before downloading it to make sure it supported Catalina.

I’m not a Mac user so I’m afraid that’s the depth of my suggestions. Hopefully some Mac users can chime in.

:slight_smile:

Looks like 2.0.31 was just released and while it doesn’t mention Catalina it does address some issues with older Mac OS versions:

** Fixed macOS El Capitan support*
** Fixed macOS Sierra support*

Perhaps it would be worth it to do another Timemachine backup and try the new update? Just a head’s up :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can confirm that this is still an issue a few months later. I had the EXACT same thing happen yesterday after installing the current version of Overbridge (on Mac OS 10.15.4) — on restart, the computer freezes at 100% loading with no way to get beyond it (no matter how many times you restart or try to boot into Safe Mode). Like the OP, I had to erase my entire drive and reload my last Time Machine backup (Time Machine is a godsend, but that’a s solid 6 hours wasted while it loads).

I bravely reinstalled Overbridge and everything seemed to work okay. However, when I woke up this morning, my Mac had crashed and restarted overnight due to kernel panic, which has never happened before. So, I’m guessing that Overbridge is the culprit (if I have any continuing issues, I’ll remove it and see if everything works smoothly).

Wondering if the OP @runningforqueen ever got Overbridge installed and running?

After thinking I had it working, it turned out that OB could not see me Digitone via USB (USB settings in DN were properly set to OB) and it was suggested that the driver didn’t install properly and I reinstall OB. Warily, I did (after uninstalling) and it froze/crashed my Mac again. I lost another 6 hours to reinstalling a Time Machine backup.

I don’t really want to forgo the use of Overbridge — it was part of what appealed to me in the whole Digitone package — but I’m not sure what to do here.

A simple solution is to get rid of Catalina, really is no point fighting against an OS that introduced so many USB issues.

I have a 16” MacBook Pro, so I can’t downgrade. Also, I like Catalina. Maybe I’m lucky, but I’ve not had any issues with it other than with OB.

Because I’m a glutton for punishment, I tried the OB install again. After installing, I allowed the Electron system software to be installed in the Security preferences, and then ran system maintenance (cleared the system cache, repaired disk permissions, etc) before restarting my Mac. And it worked — including OB recognizing my DN via USB.

1 Like

Hey, sorry for the late reply. I kinda checked out of this thread a little while ago.

I was able to get Overbridge working! I had to do a Time Machine backup of my Mac to before I installed Overbridge, then (hesitantly) reinstalled it again and it worked fine, which was super weird. This was a day or two after the OP, so I can’t remember all the details, but I don’t recall doing anything differently when I did the install again. I double checked that I was installing the right version and one that was compatible with Catalina and that was it. I’d recommend contacting Elektron support if your Mac is still crashing.

1 Like

MacPro7,1
macOS 10.15.5
Overbridge 2.37.3
Analog Heat
Analog Four
Analog Rytm
Digitone
Digitiakt

Everything worked fine, no problems!
Yesterday I started the Overbridge engine and then started my Elektrons… Mac crashed with Kernel Panic. Restarted everything started OB Engine and Digitone alone… Mac crashed with Kernel Panic :frowning:

Maybe 10.15.5 is the Problem? Don’t know if i it worked after the update from 10.15.4 to1 10.15.5…

Have you tried connecting only one device at a time, and see if you can isolate it to a particular one?

I can connect Heat and RYTM no problem, either individually or together.

As soon as I connect Analog Keys, even by itself, I get kernel panic. So at least I have a workaround for now - I just route my AK sound via RYTM external in. So I can’t record multi-track off AK or use OverBridge plugin on AK, but at least I can proceed.

I am still on Mojave BTW.

(And yes my AK is on latest firmware)

1 Like

Yes, i have tried to isolate the machines… Same Same :-/

I’m at High Sierra, Ableton 9.7.2 and OB using A4 mk1. Have been using this setting for a long time and worked well.

Started using OB as AU plugin and when I dragged my OB multitrack template to the left panel folder in Ableton, it crashed. Since then, it been crashing on and off. Not often, especially when opening the project.

It never happened when dragged the template with the OB VST plugin. Not sure is related to VST or AU versions but that’s my experience.

Otherwise, works like a charm.

Problem solved! NVRAM und PRAM Reset and everything works like a charm.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip, I tried it but didn’t work for me.

I can report that I did a clean install of macOS on an external drive, and after installing OverBridge I can plug in all three devices (AK, AR, AH) without issues.

That was just a test though - it means I have to re-install macOS on my actual internal harddrive, so that will have to wait until I have a full day to spare…

Problem not solved (Nram reboot). Mac doesn’t boot after installing the last version of overbridge. And it seems I’m not the only one…come on Elektron! What is this??

1 Like

Today I´ve installed the update - Overbridge 2.0.39 for macOS - and my Fireface UC crashed, my
Seagate Hard Disk was suddenly read-only. it took me the whole day to solve the problem, but i can´t install the Update.
Is there the old Overbridge Version for download?
Could it be, that i have to update the system of my digitakt too?

Best Greetings From Vienna

You’re definitely not the only one, and considering the fact that they are deleting posts of people with this issue, there probably are a lot more than we know.