Overbridge bandwidth and multitracking MK1 vs MK2

Hi, I am a new Elektron user and thus far only own an Octatrack.

I am now looking at getting a Rytm and possibly an A4 and like many im sure are debating between the MK1 and MK2. The only thing about Overbridge that interests me is OOTB jams multi-track recorded into Ableton. The new MK2’s claim they will have higher bandwidth, which makes me think about the current MK1 and what their limits are in comparison.

I would like to know if anyone uses their Rytm and/or A4 to multitrack in combination with Overbridge in this manner. Possibly tracking the external input additionally. Is this a smooth experience? What are the limitations? Do you find yourself wanting more from it?

Thanks in advance.

I have Rytm and A4 on overbridge exclusively.
I do not use the inputs though.
But as far as I can tell after using it like this for a while that it is smooth as a butter and personally I wouldn’t know what to do with the extra bandwidth.
Not sure what is your desired workflow but I do not use internal FX on any of those so all I need is a clean stream and that’s it. Rest in cubase.

Cheers for the reply @EasternNoise :content:

Are you tracking 8 outs from the Rytm and 4 outs from the A4 all at the same time?
Do you jam along with effects plugins running over the realtime audio?

Yes, streaming all channels and yes to realtime plugins in cubase.
A4 is in 24bit, Rytm in 16. It can’t run 24 with all channels active. At least for me.
Doesn’t really matter much since I record in 24 anyway.

It is important to know that USB bandwith can cause issues. Just because you connect to different port might not solve anything as those ports may run on the same internal hub. Common with laptops.
I have 3 PCI USB boards and they are all for different synth so each one has full available bandwith.

When I build patches, pretty much always combine them with realtime plugins. That gives me this “unique” sound and almost guarantees that I will not 'reuse" it in other tracks. Might sound similar but never the same.
I am running on a fairly fast system though and so far didn’t have any issues with that.
Latency under 6ms.
Main reason why I would never ditch computer for music.

Thanks this has really put me at ease. I think I will be going for the mark 1’s, I doubt I will be pushing it to the sync limits very hard and will probably just use direct monitoring while I am recording.

My computer hub is a 2016 MacBook Pro so hopefully no problems. I did find a video with Cenk pushing Overbridge on an older model so should be fine.

Time to find some cheap mark 1’s!

Which audio unit are you using on the mac?
And should be ok. Bandwith of USB 3.0 should be enough for at least 16bit on all channels.

1 Like

This is a non-issue, there is a magnitude of excess bandwidth with USB2.

As long as he is not using anything else on that entire hub.
It’s a laptop. He might have external devices connected and so on. If dedicated then I agree.

1 Like

The only thing I would worry about in general use would be the likes of drives or ethernet adaptor. The former can swallow all your USB3 bandwidth regardless if it is an SSD and should not share with any audio devices. But yes, laptops with their stacked internal hubs make this a PITA.

I am running on a fairly fast system though and so far didn’t have any issues with that.
Latency under 6ms.

What are your system specs if I may ask?

Focusrite 18i8 + Octopre, Devil’s Canyon running @ 4.7GHz, 64GB Ram, only SSDs, 3 Separate PCI 3.0 USB hubs + the usual rest.

I treat is just like any other instrument so I figured I’ll just build it right this time and for about 14 months now it is flawless apart from one HD death.

2 Likes

I do have a bunch of external USB stuff plugged in but it runs through a powered thunderbolt dock. This leaves my USB slots free for dedicated things like hard drives and an overhub dock in this case.

I will keep an eye out though if having the hard drive connected to the other USB affects it. I wouldn’t be using it while recording anyway.