Overbridge as iOS/iPadOS app?

where you hear this?

Big if true

It’s only a wish (no substance), but if you read above, not very likely to materialize (I wouldn’t expect them to make that rod for their own backs, even if it was technically feasible)

1 Like

It’s still a big yes from me, even more so. But probably @avantronica is right that we won’t see it anytime soon :confused:

2 Likes

I had the exact same though. However, I’m not too optimistic about it happening:

• If Elektron wanted to prioritise multitrack usb audio for iOS as part of a driver rewrite, the best option would be multitrack class compliant usb audio that requires no drivers on iOS, Mac, Windows, etc.
  • I feel like having Overbridge is a marketing tool for Elektron and switching strategy to not needing it would be difficult for Product Ownership and Marketing to get behind. I don’t think it’s consistent with what they’re saying about beta testing the next version of Overbridge.
  • I feel like they would have baked it into the release firmware of the Digitakt II if that was the case. Although, maybe they intended to and couldn’t get it bug free enough in time for release. So who knows maybe as a firmware update?
  • if they were going this route, wouldn’t they have put a USB-C port on the Digitakt II.
  • There might be some technical reason Elektron understand that means proprietary drivers rather than class compliant ones are necessary for the user experience requirements they have (e.g. latency, glitchiness, etc) I don’t know. I’m a big fan of class compliant drivers. My Soundcraft usb mixers manages 24 channels over class compliant USB, but occasionally has issues which require unplug and replug. I think the Digitakt II needs 36 channels, maybe that’s pushing it.
  • I think it’s now possible to write proprietary audio drivers for iOS but as far as I’m aware no products exist to buy today that do this. So it’s a risky unproven route and Apple have a history of breaking things with successive releases so you’d have to factor in long term maintenance. I’d imagine doing this as well as desktop overbridge is at least twice as much engineering investment.
  • Please prove me wrong Elektron, having multitrack to iPad would turn the Digitakt II into a no brainer upgrade for me.
2 Likes

Yeah, I’m not saying it will happen. Just a wish when reading they are doing updates :pray:

I stand by it though. Our phones are with us often and quite powerful computers.

Also been able to transfer samples from ipad to digitakt would be killer for me, I know there has been some third party apps that claimed to work but from what I read that wasn’t the case

Thanks Apple

IMG_2421

2 Likes