Overbridge as control-surface only

Again, that is not the problem. I cannot set any latency for overbridge in ableton since overbridge works around the timing settings around ableton. The sync between ableton and overbridge is fine, but only within ableton. But i do not use overbridge for audio so the sync is incorrect. And no way to compensate.

Ok, just telling you the steps I took to cure the problem you described, which worked for me. Good luck!

What sources externally mixing?
If you are externally mixing software with hardware it might be possible that the software sound has more latency then the hardware, despite being in the correct sync?
I did not know that the delay compensation in Ableton only affected audio, but when I use the rytm via OB I have to compensate with -24 ms for it to be in sync with my maschine vst.

Exactly! :slight_smile:
The sync is good, but there is an extra latency that i canā€™t compensate for.

Seems like the last two posts are telling you how to do itā€¦

I do think the latency is ridiculous though. Far worse than any sound card Iā€™ve ever used. For me it makes it basically unsuseable since I play a lot of things live. If I monitor my guitar or physical outputs from gear, I get about 2 to 4 ms latency, which is great for playing live and feeling the groove. I canā€™t monitor through OB because the latency just destroys my jamming. I can see how it could be alright if your just sequencing tracks in a daw, but try to jam guitar over OB audio or even try to just finger drum on the rytm and the latency kills it. Hope they can optimize this in future versionsā€¦

They donā€™t.
Seems like you didnā€™t read my posts very well.

Sorry, good luck!

Edit: if not using ob for monitoring maybe better sync just using regular midi sync from ableton? Then it wouldnā€™t needlessly add the 20some milliseconds to the sync?

Yes, thatā€™s what iā€™m doing now. Good old midi clock. But you canā€™t do that with overbridge loaded as a plugin. So i lose the automation features that overbridge can offer.

I started a thread with a request to use overbridge as a controller only, but noone from elektron reacted. Iā€™m not even sure they read these fora.

Yeah, at some point i think i got 150ms or something like that :confused: Live playing on the Rytm is destroyed when overbridge is active.

Hmm, maybe Iā€™m no help, but Iā€™m trying anyway. I have had OB running as an editor with all OB sync options turned off, which allowed me to use standard midi sync from OT to the din midi in. Donā€™t see why clock from ableton would be different unless you canā€™t send midi clock through usb when in OB mode.
So youā€™ve tried using elektron in overbridge mode with all OB sync settings turned off and ableton midi sync on?
If that doesnā€™t work, and if you have a midi interface, you could have OB connect from usb with all sync options off, and then from ableton send midi sync through the interface to the midi in din port.

Ableton compensate all latencies that are added from plugins, for example you use OB you will get in best case 21.5ms. latency. If you want to use real audio input instead of OBs virtual ones you have to compensate 21.5ms . Below every channel fader you can do this. If you want to sync other gear with abletons clock in addition, you need to compensate related audio channel or lives midi clock 21.5ms + x depend on soundcard and settings. If you sync instead the same gear with elektrons midi out and OB sync enabled you have to compensate 21.5ms.
And this is the cool thing compared to abletons midi clock OB ignore all other latencies that maybe will be added by other plugins and stay in sync.
For example UAD Vsts add mostly a lot of latency too, Ampex = 60ms.
And the important thing to know the summary of all latencies is the value you have to compensate with abletons midi clock sync if you use it.
Workaround use zero latency plugins for jamming,session or live and recording.
And/Or plan which plugins you want use and how many latency they add prepare your project set delay compensation and forget.
In mixing stage it doesnā€™t matter anymore.

The clock Quality or jitter itself of both variants is from my point of view the same. I go with OB sync also for my other external gear with each external audio channel delay compensation -22ms. Works fine with a lot of high latency plugins running.

Iā€™m trying to read through this and figure out if itā€™s been deemed possibleā€¦
All I want to do is use the Overbridge plugin to control my Analog Heat. I do not want to send or receive audio through Overbridge, but I would like to use automation in Live to control the parameters. The actual audio is being routed via a send/return from my interface to/from the Heat. I have to do it this way to avoid the poor latency of using the plugin to transmit audio. I can also keep everything at 96kHz this way instead of the 48kHz Overbridge runs at.

Bumpsky.

Want the same thing: just Overbridge control of my AK, no USB audio streaming. I tried unchecking L/R for the In and Out settings on the Overbridge Panel, but it gives the ā€œskullā€ warning about not compatible or something when I try to Apply.

What i need is to offset the overbridge sync so i can match it to the DAW. Basically a shift option on top of overbridge. But there is no option to do that.

Try monitoring the audio through Abletonā€™s External Audio Effect Plugin. It should do the shifting youā€™re after. It will shift the audio by the amount of latency Ableton has calculated.

Yeah, but that adds Rytms latency to all channels in ableton (on top of any latency the plugins already have). In my case its about 27ms of extra latency on each and every channel. Not a good thing if you can avoid it.

I want the sync signal that goes to the rytm to be pre-delayed. That way you can have the rytm in sync and still have minimal latency on all other channels.
So this basically works well when not using overbridge. I simpy send the rytm and advanced midi clock and it makes sound on time without any audio latency compensation.

i also do this.

My computer is connected with USB to my A4 and AR
Audio is not routed into my Ableton. Audio form A4 to AR and from AR to speakers.

It works very well.

I make patterns, perf and scene fx
I make clips in ableton, volume on/off, pattern changes, etcā€¦
i use my song view in ableton.

This song I made like this
it is already 3 months agoā€¦ since my daughter was born, I didnā€™t touch my gear at all. Small chance I will sell it, don;'t see time to make any music at allā€¦ work, family, sleepā€¦

https://soundcloud.com/vandammusic/slomotechno

Yeah. Overbridge basically takes over any clock signal sent to the rytm. No matter how i set things i canā€™t control the actual clock that overbridge sends to the rytm, Even when i set it off in overbridge.

I havenā€™t tried sending it a midi clock separately over DIN. But for now iā€™m pretty much done with overbridge. What a let down.

1 Like

I just tried this, because I have been having some back problems and canā€™t really bend over the Elektrons anymore.

It works great.

The OB pluginā€™s track is muted, and the OB clock is disabled.

I send MIDI clock via Expert Sleepers ESX-8MD and monitor RYTMā€™s hardware outputs through the Ableton External Audio Effect. Everything is in sync.

The only downside is that I do indeed incur the latency, which is a bummer. However, the recorded audio is definitely in sync, because I am sending clock through and monitoring the audio through Abelton External Audio Effect, which compensates the latency properly.

If you were to use the OB clock and monitor through the Ableton External Audio Effect, my guess is you would get the same result, namely, everything would be in sync, but there is no avoiding the latency.

Elektron should add an ā€œEditor Modeā€ for those of us who just want to edit with OB but donā€™t care about clocking or monitoring the audio. Another nice to have would be a ā€œClock Modeā€ which is the same as Editor Mode, but with the clock and a (hopefully) smaller amount of latency than using full-blown OB with all the audio.

Using OB as an editor in this way is a life saver for my back!

4 Likes

I think this is an issue with the current os, only affecting usb. With OB sync off you can sync rytm to midi clock coming to its din input.