Overbridge as control-surface only

Yeah, at some point i think i got 150ms or something like that :confused: Live playing on the Rytm is destroyed when overbridge is active.

Hmm, maybe I’m no help, but I’m trying anyway. I have had OB running as an editor with all OB sync options turned off, which allowed me to use standard midi sync from OT to the din midi in. Don’t see why clock from ableton would be different unless you can’t send midi clock through usb when in OB mode.
So you’ve tried using elektron in overbridge mode with all OB sync settings turned off and ableton midi sync on?
If that doesn’t work, and if you have a midi interface, you could have OB connect from usb with all sync options off, and then from ableton send midi sync through the interface to the midi in din port.

Ableton compensate all latencies that are added from plugins, for example you use OB you will get in best case 21.5ms. latency. If you want to use real audio input instead of OBs virtual ones you have to compensate 21.5ms . Below every channel fader you can do this. If you want to sync other gear with abletons clock in addition, you need to compensate related audio channel or lives midi clock 21.5ms + x depend on soundcard and settings. If you sync instead the same gear with elektrons midi out and OB sync enabled you have to compensate 21.5ms.
And this is the cool thing compared to abletons midi clock OB ignore all other latencies that maybe will be added by other plugins and stay in sync.
For example UAD Vsts add mostly a lot of latency too, Ampex = 60ms.
And the important thing to know the summary of all latencies is the value you have to compensate with abletons midi clock sync if you use it.
Workaround use zero latency plugins for jamming,session or live and recording.
And/Or plan which plugins you want use and how many latency they add prepare your project set delay compensation and forget.
In mixing stage it doesn’t matter anymore.

The clock Quality or jitter itself of both variants is from my point of view the same. I go with OB sync also for my other external gear with each external audio channel delay compensation -22ms. Works fine with a lot of high latency plugins running.

I’m trying to read through this and figure out if it’s been deemed possible…
All I want to do is use the Overbridge plugin to control my Analog Heat. I do not want to send or receive audio through Overbridge, but I would like to use automation in Live to control the parameters. The actual audio is being routed via a send/return from my interface to/from the Heat. I have to do it this way to avoid the poor latency of using the plugin to transmit audio. I can also keep everything at 96kHz this way instead of the 48kHz Overbridge runs at.

Bumpsky.

Want the same thing: just Overbridge control of my AK, no USB audio streaming. I tried unchecking L/R for the In and Out settings on the Overbridge Panel, but it gives the “skull” warning about not compatible or something when I try to Apply.

What i need is to offset the overbridge sync so i can match it to the DAW. Basically a shift option on top of overbridge. But there is no option to do that.

Try monitoring the audio through Ableton’s External Audio Effect Plugin. It should do the shifting you’re after. It will shift the audio by the amount of latency Ableton has calculated.

Yeah, but that adds Rytms latency to all channels in ableton (on top of any latency the plugins already have). In my case its about 27ms of extra latency on each and every channel. Not a good thing if you can avoid it.

I want the sync signal that goes to the rytm to be pre-delayed. That way you can have the rytm in sync and still have minimal latency on all other channels.
So this basically works well when not using overbridge. I simpy send the rytm and advanced midi clock and it makes sound on time without any audio latency compensation.

i also do this.

My computer is connected with USB to my A4 and AR
Audio is not routed into my Ableton. Audio form A4 to AR and from AR to speakers.

It works very well.

I make patterns, perf and scene fx
I make clips in ableton, volume on/off, pattern changes, etc…
i use my song view in ableton.

This song I made like this
it is already 3 months ago… since my daughter was born, I didn’t touch my gear at all. Small chance I will sell it, don;'t see time to make any music at all… work, family, sleep…

https://soundcloud.com/vandammusic/slomotechno

Yeah. Overbridge basically takes over any clock signal sent to the rytm. No matter how i set things i can’t control the actual clock that overbridge sends to the rytm, Even when i set it off in overbridge.

I haven’t tried sending it a midi clock separately over DIN. But for now i’m pretty much done with overbridge. What a let down.

1 Like

I just tried this, because I have been having some back problems and can’t really bend over the Elektrons anymore.

It works great.

The OB plugin’s track is muted, and the OB clock is disabled.

I send MIDI clock via Expert Sleepers ESX-8MD and monitor RYTM’s hardware outputs through the Ableton External Audio Effect. Everything is in sync.

The only downside is that I do indeed incur the latency, which is a bummer. However, the recorded audio is definitely in sync, because I am sending clock through and monitoring the audio through Abelton External Audio Effect, which compensates the latency properly.

If you were to use the OB clock and monitor through the Ableton External Audio Effect, my guess is you would get the same result, namely, everything would be in sync, but there is no avoiding the latency.

Elektron should add an “Editor Mode” for those of us who just want to edit with OB but don’t care about clocking or monitoring the audio. Another nice to have would be a “Clock Mode” which is the same as Editor Mode, but with the clock and a (hopefully) smaller amount of latency than using full-blown OB with all the audio.

Using OB as an editor in this way is a life saver for my back!

4 Likes

I think this is an issue with the current os, only affecting usb. With OB sync off you can sync rytm to midi clock coming to its din input.

It works fine. Just tried it. See above.

@omatic
@jbone1313

You guys running the same OB/rytm versions?
Working for jbone but not for omatic…

I haven’t tried usb midi sync but can confirm working receiving clock from OT to din and OB clock setting off,
OB 1.15, Rytm 1.31…

USB MIDI sync will suck, and you’ll have to manually add a negative MIDI Clock Sync Delay in Ableton’s preferences, which sadly is not properly compensated, so if your latency changes, then you’ll have to adjust that. But, it will work.

Hi,

Is it possible to use Overbridge just as a control surface / Sample organiser ? I want to use the analogue outs on my analog four and rytm but don’t want to use the USB to transfer audio.

I clock everything using an ER-M multiclock to ableton and use a RME Raydat and Ferrofish A/D convertor to transfer my audio.

I have tried this a couple of times but when I go into USB mode it stops the sync in my setup.

I just want to access the parts of my machines without sending a clock signal or audio.

I’m sure this can be done, any ideas?

Cheers,

Doug

Have a little look here mate

https://www.elektronauts.com/t/overbridge-as-control-surface-only/13149

1 Like

Thanks mate !!!

Exactly what I was looking for, managed to get something sorted. Still not 100% the way I want it but hopefully Elektron hice is an update to solve the latency issue.

Really appreciate the link :slight_smile:

Take it easy

1 Like

[I have a Heat] Yes, an editor mode! I want OB to load in a session so that my Heat patch and signal routing will be recalled when the session loads. That mode should also allow OB to edit parameters.

The audio over USB is too finicky to be useful, unfortunately. Overbridge crashes Nuendo near 100% of the time. Any tips on how to gain more stability from Overbridge?

1 Like