Overbridge and the effects?

Hi

Just bought the Rytm today - an i’m very exited !! :):):):):):):

But I cant seem to work out why the effects aren’t on the sound’s/tracks, when I multitrack record using overbridge.

I’m using overbridge 1.0 and rytm 1.21

Cheers

They are send FX, so hearing/recording them would have to come from the main L/R channels only.

And due to USB 1.1 (chosen for lower noise specs) limitations, your Rytm will only give 8 streams of audio at 16bit, max.

This means that in order to hear/record the FX (which count as 9th and 10th streams) in Overbridge, you’ll have to either disable voice tracks in the Overbridge control app, in order to turn on the main L/R streams.
OR
use an audio interface to record the physical stereo outputs into your DAW.

Either way, you will need to turn off “route to main” on all voices so that only the FX returns are heard in the main outs.

The use of DAW FX instead is yet another option.

2 Likes

Oh, of course - haven’t thought of that.

But hey, thanks for the quick answer !! :slight_smile:

Now it’s time to jam !!!

1 Like

Wow.

The Aggregate feature in osx is really nice - never heard about before, but damn that’s freakin smart !!

Now everything is rolling perfectly :=))

1 Like

Thats a good tipp. It might also be helpfull if you use single outputs for KD, SD, CP/RS, CH/OH and only route the Tom- and Cymbal-Channels to the main outs. Then you would at least have the Kick and Snare seperated and all the Toms and FX on a single main out channel.

Id also recommend to upgrade to 1.22B and OB 1.10. Its not perfect yet, but much better than 1.0.

greetings,
Goat

1 Like

Tracks without Effects are worthless.

1 Like

Just installed the latest Overbridge version from having shunned it for a few years but it acutally works great with my Rytm now. I could with ease unplug all cables except the USB cable so i got rid of 2 midi cables, 2 cables to the main stereo out and 4 cables for the other drums, that were split cables and were stereo in one end and 2 mono in the other. So a lot of cables, and now i have only one. Works great! The sync is perfect obviously, no noise or anything, but i am wondering about one thing.

Before i could add separate effects to each drum, having them on different channels mostly. Is this possible with newest OB - having them separated so i can put a dist on the snare, compression of BD, valhalla reverb on toms etc etc… I mean, adding plugin effects on more than the main out?

What DAW are you using. It’s possible just the method of pulling the individual track streams from the VST/AU are different depending on which platform you’re using. I can help you with Ableton or Reason others can chime in with Logic, etc.

Bitwig. Used ableton before but bitwig is similar and just feels better and works better with my gear…

Alright well here’s an quick walk through on ableton that you’ll probs be able to translate to bit wig. :slight_smile: process hasn’t changed since the beta days.

2 Likes

Great, thank you! Will check it asap. :slight_smile:

Edit: checked! Great, it´s just what i wanted to know. I´m pretty sure it works just like that in BW so should be no problem whatsoever.

1 Like

So in your global settings or also on individual kits, you can remove tracks from the main output that’ll let you create another audio track to record the primary plugin output as a return track for the internal rytm effects bus if you want them as a reference or as a layer.

Yes but then how do you monitor the drums when you are recording? The goal with recording tight audio to ableton is to have a setup with monitoring off. This bypasses all the PDC…etc and just records the audio right when it hears it.

Also I found that when I remove all from main, it works for the delay and reverb sends recording to that FX channel but you lose the compression and distortion.

So there are always compromises, it appears.

With regular midi it’s definitely better to have monitoring set to off because you get all the latency from your soundcard when set to in…

But with overbridge I am able to set individual tracks to in and don’t have any latency and is nice and accurate and don’t have this problem.

1 Like

No latency? Even at 64samples i had some latency. And ableton with pdc on records my tracks in a bit too early so transients are cut off.

Using the chain stuff work great in bw, i am so happy that i can jump from Joy… this really helped my music making! Thanks again!

I’ve not encountered this either. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Whats your soundcard settings? You wont encounter early transients the way your setup is (monitoring off) but there has to be 1-2ms of latency. The zero transient is consistently dead on the grid?

Trying to figure this all out now. If I turn off “route to main” I get nothing. I am getting fx anyway through overbridge. Im sure Im doing something wrong but Im not sure what.

When you turn the channels off from the main, you only get their audio on the individual tracks. The FX however are always routed to the main output.