Overbridge and Octatrack

Yea, fair enough, though the cost-benefit of OB on something like that I guess just wasn’t there.
Though I’d say more people know of Octatrack than Model:XXX even though Models sold more, which is why I was saying “most famous” vs “most sold” - Anecdotally I know alot of musicians who have heard of OT but literally nothing else from elektron.

oh no, the word laptop has been removed! Therefore it must now be hooked up to the laptop. State law because I want it!

1 Like

I just checked^^It’s not removed. All good. Back to jawless damming.

Or you were talking about mk2 manual? Nevermind.

@Rusty had a project to imitate OB in some degree(how much, I don’t know). And in a perfect world, he would have finished it

But we do not live in a perfect world, and he had to focus on other things.

I’ll never forget the white bunny

1 Like

I think you might need to take a drink of some of that tea and relax a little.

This isn’t me “reading the tea leaves”, it’s stating one of the design philosophies you mentioned.
I don’t know the complete design philosophy behind the OT, I’m also completely aware that things change.
It could be said the “design” of OT is now outdated when compared to the rest of Elektron’s active lineup (lack of OB / USB midi / class compliant audio etc)
So I don’t think it’s unreasonable to question if this would lead them to think of trying to implement OB in a newer version.
Clearly people like the OT, a seemingly simple question has got such heated responses - that I don’t doubt that. But your desire to stay away from the computer does not outweigh other’s desires to use the computer. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to talk about potential for OBOT on a thread dedicated to that.

1 Like

During all those years, they probaply have gathered so many ideas, stuff they wanted to try out etc. New stuff.
Like the OT builds upon the Machinedrums ram machines, a new sampler probaply will build on the Octatrack (or maybe not), but you know what I mean…

And don’t forget that OT got that update recently, after ten years. Both mk1 and mk2 got that update.
OB might be simply out of reach (for different resasons).

2 Likes

Digitakt’s got overbridge, maybe buy that.

Given the little refresh and OS update, I wouldn’t be expecting a new flagship sampler from Elektron this year.
I don’t think there’s going to be a new Octatrack, they’ll release something different.

4 Likes

And when being really dedicated to have a digital out one can always go the DIY way (I guess only main outs / scroll down for a comment about how it was done):

:wink:

1 Like

It’s probably the same OT as on Ebay.
I contacted the guy who did the mod, living near me : around 1000€ for the mod. I’d prefer a 2nd OT! Only master out IIRC, no separate channels, he said it wasn’t possible.

2 Likes

Of course, no individual outs. There is simply no physical point where you could extract the separate digital streams. Cue outs on the other hand could be extracted the same way as the main outs.

1 Like

Further to the passage from the OT manual that was previously quoted …

OT MkI manual, page 11:

Software based samplers are today capable of handling enormously large, multi-sampled, sample libraries. Hardware samplers aren’t really suited for those tasks. Instead, they come to their best when conceived as dedicated devices focusing on new and radical approaches to sampling.

The OT as a product was designed to be the hub of a hardware tabletop system, to sequence other gear, to process the sound of other gear, to perform live, to be a Dynamic Performance Sampler. Not to replace or even to complement a DAW, but for those people who don’t want to use a DAW in performance. The last thing it will ever do is export song-length multi-track stems for processing in another system.

There’s a reason why the MD and MM had six analogue outputs while the OT only has four.

No. Even the AF MkI was flawed when it came to hardware capabilities for Overbridge.

Overbridge came later, as the market for Ableton Live and other DAWs that used VSTs increased. Overbridge was marketed as enabling the ultimate plug-in (analog!, via the AF and AR) for producers using a DAW. Ableton Live reportedly has an install base of many millions, and Elektron wanted into that market.

9 Likes

Did what it said on the tin, recorded from Octatrack / bounced separate audio tracks. Mutated into a mini DAW. But not enough people interested in it / not financially viable, so put on hold.

Yon rabbit of lore

4 Likes

(unique use case inbound): I just route the OT audio to the DN and stream on Twitch or record with my Phone and then upload to YouTube.

I understand that you want to have the separate audio in a DAW but the OT is the equivalent of a DAW. I would find it weird to route FL Studio to Ableton.

I hope you find happiness :smiley:

There is a midlife crisis and then there is the OT. Welcome to the club :upside_down_face:

1 Like

It won’t. There’s nothing to figure out. It won’t be a thing.

If “it’s the single thing that’s holding me back from buying it” then don’t buy it, because it’s not going to happen.

It’s honestly surprising there’s people who are against it, no one would be forcing you to use a laptop :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m against it if it means any of the other features are compromised because processing power or memory is needed for OB to work.

I’m against it if it means other changes aren’t developed because effort goes into making OB work.

There’s no such thing as a free lunch, so making it work would mean missing out on something else. I’d rather have the “something else”.

I’m also against the neverending “will there be an OTmk3?” and “will there be OB for OT?” questions on this forum. No. If you like what it is now, buy it. If you want OB or mk3 then don’t buy it, because you won’t get what you want.

but I guess there’s that saying “octatrack users will never be happy” lol

Quite the opposite :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Like pigs in shit mate.

3 Likes

Yes! We don’t care about software or incredible incompatible OS updates, nothing working after! Free from this anxiousness!

:elot: :pig: :poop: :ecstatic:

1 Like

Yeah same here, I guess I’m not the target market for Overbridge, I only recently downloaded it and just because it was there really, not because I need it.

Early on I was not into the idea of OB, I thought it would cause problems for Elektron and it seemed that it did, but no point worrying about it now, water under the bridge, so to speak.

Audio and midi over USB is quite handy if you use computer a lot for producing, I guess if I was using a DAW like say Ableton I probably would not use a OT, I get that not everyone feels the same though.

Maybe look into other samplers that have audio and midi over USB, I think there are a few now - Roland MC-707, Akai MPC, Mashine thing etc.

Hearsay … nothing more than urban legends … :rofl:

Maybe I’m wrong, but aren’t the MPCs acting like controllers with built-in soundcards when connected to a computer? AFAIK there is no audio over USB in standalone mode.

2 Likes

No probably me wrong :laughing: