Overbridge amazement

I’ve finally tried to use overbridge “properly” with my Digitone and I’m frankly astonished at how well it works. I’ve tried USB audio with my MS a few times and it was tricky, sometimes the audio got a bit mangled and I couldn’t get a clean “sync” between the unit and my DAW.

I’ve just tried Overbridge with Abelton (10 intro) and Bitwig (3.3 new release) and I was able to record all the 4 tracks as well as the master at the same time and it all synced amazingly well. Once I had the Digitone plugin loaded and set up the audio tracks, I just hit space bar in the respective DAWs to begin playback and everything started playing and recording with no trouble. When I then set my loop markers and played back the multiple tracks (with the Digitone muted to prevent doubling) it all sounded very much in sync to me! I can’t imagine it’s perfect but I reckon it was very, very close. Bit of a “click” at the loop point with longer notes that hadn’t reached zero but I would expect that.

I’ve gone a bit “cold” on using the computer for music lately (I write code all day long) but this is a revelation if I can easily use the Digitone as a sound module/groovebox but then layer up and arrange in the DAW. I can make some patterns, record them, layer them, mute stuff and record drums into separate tracks etc.

I’m a bit blown away to be honest! I reckon I’ll have to get a Digitakt as well. It’s payday after all…

5 Likes