Overbridge 2.0 Beta - New video online! #4: Brutal Stress Test

Thank for your help. I followed your intructions. I used 1/64 notes.

The result is this. It seems better that my first attempt (maybe because I was using a ‘wait for event to start recording’), but it’s not perfect, and the note lenght variation due to the random start & end.

If you get jitter on the clock you’re very likely also getting jitter on notes.
So if you clock off of midi clock from the computer you will get double the problems.
First the jittered midi clock will make your device go a little wonky, then the notes from your device will be read by the computer with another round of jitter.

As @LiquidAgua says, it’s due to how the operating system and the driver stack deals with buffers and with timing in general.

@man909 @wald @goatofneptune

Update: Before I hadn’t set the ‘Driver perfomance mode’ above the ‘fast’ setting (had bad experiences with other cheaper interfaces in the past with higher settings) which resulted in expected latency of 7ms in and 8ms out (15ms roundtrip with buffer range of 64)

I just now tried ‘Highest Speed’. Works great! With OB 1.0 I got a lot of glitchyness, but with OB 2.0 it works like a charm. This results in expected latency 6ms in, and 1.4 out. (in studio one it shows 6ms in, 3ms out).

Quite impressive I’d say :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Yes a midi clock that has jitter will affect the midi timing from the Digitakt midi out for sure.

Overbridge version 1 had a sync feature and I don’t know if this was based upon audio pulses being sent from the overbridge plug-in to the Elektron hardware but I suspect was/is.

Overbridge 2 might have something similar, we just have to wait and see what the future brings.

But sample exact notes on the grid is probably not healthy to strive for. Can be quite expensive to go all in trying to get the same accuracy as you get in a software DAW with plug-ins.

1 Like

Where did you set driver performance mode to highest?

Overbridge control panel. I think it’s an ASIO thing (so windows), not sure if Mac has such an option.

1 Like

I’d be more then happy using ASIO drivers for multitracking my Digitakt. Nice to read that it’s so low latency, that’s numbers close to my RME.

So are you able to go 24 bit 48kHz with the ASIO driver?

ah right I don’t have overbridge yet

1 Like

I wonder if OB will still need the control panel or if the installer will just include the drivers this time

So to the people testing the beta of 2.0 - are you able to use Overbridge (I just want it to record separate channels in Live) and send MIDI messages over the USB cable at the same time?

If I’m understanding you correctly, the answer is yes. For instance, I currently have my Analog Keys sending MIDI through Reason to the Analog Rytm MkII, which is routed via USB. The Rytm is acting as the audio interface and sending its audio to Reason. It is simultaneously receiving MIDI note data from the AK>Reason via USB

(this is on a Mac Mini, by the way)

1 Like

Ok, cool, sounds good. Thanks. :slight_smile:

1 Like

So no news on the next phase of OB beta?

Would be nice to have news on a wet fx option on the master. I need those.

Guys, anyone knows how to do the set up in Bitwig ? How do you create the one track per channel recording ? I never did it before and I’m not sure I have a problem with DT + DN over bridge driver.

I’m sure this has been asked before, but here goes: When the DT gets Overbridge enabled and I use it as an audio interface, will I be able to run the internal audio from it while I’m running another source via the stereo inputs? Say I have a rhythm track going from the DT and into Ableton Live, but I’m also routing a stereo track from a Volca through the DT. Then it’s all going out from Live through the DT’s outputs. Doable?

A question unlikely to get an affirmative response, but worth asking anyway: has anyone testing OB2b by any chance tried running it under Wine on Linux? Just curious if by any chance it works at all.

Yeah that’ll work. Im currently doing what you described with my DN through the DT using the beta drivers.

That’s cool! Thanks.

Will OB work with macs on 10.10-10.12?