Overbridge 2.0 Beta - New video online! #4: Brutal Stress Test

Audio and sync are handled by the vst. The daws latency compensation handles keeping sync tight. So it’s down to the daw in some respects. Most of the current optimization seems centered around ableton which I can say from my limited tests (I focus on propellerhead reason) works a treat. The better your daw of choice handles vsts the better your performance seems to be my takeaway thus far.

Yes the inputs are their own audio path in the current version being tested. Digitone will be the final device we test but I think the audio interface aspect might be present in the public beta stage. Can’t tell you anything for certain obviously and anything is subject to change yadda yadda.

1 Like

Hi everyone,

Just uploaded a new video on Overbridge with some extra explanations and instructions how to set things up.

Overbridge 2.0 Review: #1 Setting things up

Hope this helps. If you have any questions, please let me know.

Cheers!

23 Likes

Total recall is amazing :grin:

Wonder how this is going to run in Reason, would love to get some cv combinatory going to mess with the DT channels

1 Like

Excellent. Sold my digitakt while back from being annoyed at lack of overbridge. Bought it week it came out with overbridge being a big reason for buying it.

Anyhow happy to say I’m getting a digitakt again tomorrow and will be straight into overbridge and the other videos I watched is a big reason so definitely checking this one

1 Like

That would be very cool indeed. I started out with Reason a long time ago. Still miss it sometimes. Would love to know if that works!

Great to hear Muzka, Enjoy!

It’s shit currently. Basically reason runs internally at a 64 frame buffer and a lot of plugins can’t run well at that speed on most systems. They’re working on a patch which will be reason 10.3 that addresses how cpu intensive vsts are in Reason vs other daws. My tests have found I drop sync almost immediately and lose communication with the vst as the latency measurements that the ob engine attempts time out.

The other thing is the vst rack item doesn’t have enough outputs on the back for all the streams from the rytm mkii

The automaton lane picker also doesn’t have enough line items to handle all the parameters available in the machine.

All in all very poor support on propellerheads end. They need to drastically improve their vst model before it’s worth trying ob. For now I rewire Reason to ableton and get the rytm in that way. Lol

1 Like

Thanks for the video dude!

Have you tried OB with AH+DT+DN? If so what do you think about it and how do you plug it?
Physically the DT goes into the DN and then into the AH but I’m a little lost when it comes to setting everything into OB.

1 Like

Thanks a million!

1 Like

Cheers!

Ah yes. A problem with that routing is I guess you want to use the digitone send fx on the input yeah? This would make it difficult if you want to stream the separate tracks from DT as well.

I’d do it like this with your routing:

Use Digitone as an audio interface since it doesn’t have the OB plugin yet. Add stereo tracks for the 4 tracks of DN.

Add digitakt vst and set up the separate tracks. Mute the tracks from going to main out so you can record the DT send fx separately.

Now route each track to a stereo bus / aux and add the analog heat to that.

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

Oh thanks for the detailed tip, I’ll try it asap. Yeah that would be nice and adding the AH as a VST on the desired tracks.

Cheers Dave.

1 Like

Thanks for saving me the trouble :grin: guess I’ll be using ableton for now then :+1:

1 Like

That’s too bad that it doesn’t work well in Reason.

If i want to route the individual outputs from A4 to my daw, Studio One. Do i have to choose Overbridge/A4 as audio interface in Studio One?

Hi Volta,

Not necessarily. You can choose a4 as your audio interface and assign inputs like you would with any audio interface (except you’ll see the internal tracks you can stream as well).
But you can also use your own audio interface and use a4 as a VST plugin like I show in the video for the Digitakt. Simply drag the A4 instrument into the arrangement, and enable the inputs in the mixer like I show in the video :slight_smile:

For the A4 also make sure you enable the tracks via the switches beneath the level meters in the Overbridge Control panel that you want to use inside your DAW.

2 Likes

1 Like

New video online where I show you how to set things up in Ableton :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Thanks for the videos, they have been helpful. I am encountering a strange problem with my analog four mki. When I use the the new beta os it will occasionally go off tempo and restart over and over again --glitching out and going crazy. It seems to happen when I start changing parameters or pressing buttons. I am also using digitakt. The digitakt works completely, no problems. I uninstalled the beta os on the analog four and reinstalled the previous os. The problem dissapeared, but of course that means no overbridge. I reinstalled the beta os for the analog four and the problem returned. Any ideas? I’m using windows 10, ableton live 9 and the overhub device from elektron. I’ve tried different usb cables.

Also another question. I have a quad core processor but anytime I set the driver performance mode above normal I encounter lots of cracks and pops in the streaming audio. This happens with both the digitakt and the analog four. Are there other things to consider when setting the performance mode? My computer is well above the minimum requirements.

1 Like

Thanks for all the informative videos!

I have a question about sending MIDI from Ableton to the Digitakt through the Overbridge plugin over the auto-channel to play the pitch of any sample loaded into the 8 sample tracks on the Digitakt. So far I can only play the pitch of the first Sample Track on the Digitakt from Ableton over MIDI.

I can sequence the Digitakt sounds from Ableton but I can only send pitch info to Track 1 of the Digitakt from Ableton, even after sending midi over the auto-channel and selecting different tracks in the Overbridge Plugin.

Any ideas or experience with this?

Thanks again for your informative videos and experience! :totes::pray:

1 Like