Overbridge 2.0 Beta - New video online! #4: Brutal Stress Test

They cannot. When installing the OB 2 driver it replaced OB 1.

Basically, don’t upgrade yet until OB 2 is released. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi there,
for those of you not participating in the beta, here is a small overview, how the macOS driver works so far, that was just released on friday. I tried it on a macbook Air with macOS 10.13.6 and Ableton Live 10 with digitone (D1) and digitakt (dt).

Both devices are recognized as Audio Interfaces with 12 Input Channels and 2 Output channels. They only run with 48 kHz (no 44,1 khz or 96 kHz). Each device appears two times: One in Core Audio Mode and one in Bit Acurate mode. I was able to let them run with a small buffer of 64 Bit. Latency (Input+Output) is quite long: 18,8 ms in Bit Accurate Mode and 55,3 ms in Core Audio Mode. So choose Bit Accurate Mode. When performing, connect e keyboard directly to the D1/DT, and not via your mac, because the latency is too long. Typical driverless USB-Audio-Interfaces have a latency of 7 to 8 ms under macOS.

The 12 Input Channels work as follows
1+2: Main Output of the DT/D1 with FX
3/4 - 9/10: Individual Mono and Stereo-Tracks of the DT/D1 without FX
11+12: Input Channels of the DT/D1

The Output goes directly to the output of the D1/DT, and not through their FX-Section

Both appear as a MIDI Interface, so the can be easily controlled with live.

So with Overbridge its quite simple to record single dry Tracks or the full mix of the D1/DT. While the Main Output of the DT reaches a level of 0 dbfs, the D1 is softer, peaking around -7 dbfs. I encountered no problems so far. Installation was as flawless as the setup in live.

At the moment both devices can only be used as the main soundcard. With the Overbridge plug-in it should be possible to connect several electron boxes beside your soundcard.

So beside the long latency, the beta is working fine so far

13 Likes

Will Overbridge allow you to more easily transfer patterns or banks to different patterns. If you save a file on ableton and then open it while connected to digitakt but in a new project will Overbridge allow you to just load all that data in the new projects

awwww crap! :frowning:
Thank you Dave, you saved me XD

Could you please explain for a OB noob, what is the main difference between those to modes beside the latency difference of course.

And what i really don’t understand, why is there such a huge latency almost the same like OB1 from what a read, when they told everyone that the latency issue is one of the main goals, they try to adress?!

Depends a bit on the specifics. Is it round-trip latency we are talking about or just input latency? 18ms round trip latency isn’t that bad and a lot faster that ob1.

I dont know, how the to drivers differ from each other. As a user you see two interfaces, eg. “Digitone Core Audio Mode” and “Digitone Bit Accurate Mode” in the Audio-Midi-Settings. You have to choose one of them. The only thing I recognized so far is the massive difference in latency.

Why elektron cant reach the normal Latency of standard usb Audio Interfaces is also beyond my knowledge.

Is it round-trip latency though? Like I said, 18 ms round-trip is comparable to a lot of standard audio interfaces. On windows it’s around the same round-trip and something like 7,5 ms input latency. Which is fine. I would be surprised if it was a lot different on Mac.

1 Like

yes its roundtrip. Most interfaces that use the Standard USB Audio Mode in macOS without drivers have a latency of 7 to 8 ms roundtrip. RME- and Thunderbolt-Interfaces reach around 3 to 4 ms roundtrip.

Really? Haven’t used Mac for years, but that would be impressive for interfaces of around 300 euro for instance. Or at least, that’s not how low it used to be. Either way, 7ms input latency is fine. It’s not top of the line low, but I’m not seeing the problem tbh :slight_smile:

even the cheap sub-100-euro-interfaces reach 7 to 8 ms nowadays with the standard driver.

2 Likes

Nice. On windows this is not the case. It hasn’t bothered me though. 7 ms input latency is fine to record with and 18ms round trip is ok as well (I monitor directly from DT so round trip doesn’t affect me).

when the manufacturer delivers an ASIO-Driver, most Windows-Latency-Times should even be a bit lower than under macOS. But the latency varies more under Windows than under macOS, because Windows doesnt support driverless usb standard audio.

Hmm, have had different interfaces over the years, but they must be building bad software then. The lowest latency audio interface I’ve had and still have is the Allen&heath Db4 which goes very very low. But interfaces from m-audio, focusrite, and Tascam don’t come even close to that. All around 17 - 20 round trip latency. Actually, the focusrite driver has been the worst. Still have a Scarlett that will start acting up quickly on low latency settings. In the panel there is the option to set it to 6ms for instance, but that doesn’t reflect the real latency at all. Tascam wasn’t good either.

that sounds quite bad. What is the size of the buffer? with 44,1 and 48 kHz most interfaces should be happy with a 128 bit buffer. The best go down to 32, depending on the cpu load. I have tested Interfaces from Behringer and Audient, that performed much better, well RME ist still king. You might also try ASIO For All which might get you better results than the official ASIO-Driver. Also some NVIDIA-Drivers are disturbing the audio stream, so that youll need larger buffers.

Buffer size is not the issue (for me that is). I’m talking about a buffer of 64 ,as most interfaces will be able to handle that :). Db4 goes down to 32 but it’s a high end AI. Focusrite works with Ms settings instead of samples, which is weird. And it doesn’t reflect the actual latency.

ASIO4ALL always results in higher latency in my experience. I Always produce at 48khz. Higher samplerates will lower latency of course, but it becomes a lot heavier for the cpu.

I have a remix nearing completion here, it would be handy if I could just get OB for my digitakt windows today b4 I single track the lot into my daw, you think it’ll be ere soon? Also how can I tell if my digitakt is mki or mkii?

Heya, there is no digitakt mkii, there’s just the one (released last year).

My guess is that OB 2 is months from being officially released. I really hope they manage to release it by the end of this year but nobody knows. Probably Elektron doesn’t even know because it depends on how the beta testing turns out and how much needs to be fixed.

Hope this answers your question a bit. I’d go the single track recording route for now…

2 Likes

Doesn’t sound that “comparable” to me.
I just checked: my default interface (7 year old RME) has a roundtrip latency of 5.7ms. If I choose smaller buffers it is 3.1ms.
My much cheaper NI interface has a roundtrip latency of 9ms.

Yep. I’m using an old-ish FW Saffire Pro 26 through a FireWire to thunderbolt dongle and then a thunderbolt to USB-C dongle and still get 6.3ms round trip and 2.6ms out with a 64 sample buffer. I am a bit surprised at those OB numbers.