Overbridge 2.0.30 Public Beta

or… scroll to the top of this thread :arrow_up:

1 Like

Äh nope. That´s OB 2.0.30 I had to go back V2.0.24 because my machines were just not recognized. Here´s the link again:

My analog rytm mk2 is still unoperational with this update. Overbridge engine still comes up with “fault” 2 minutes after connecting the device. Extremely unhappy with this, i have projects on there i need to track into ableton for a new EP, and now i can’t do that. Running 1.50 on Rytm. There are no additional details as to what the “fault” is or how to remedy it. Tried all the current hot fixes on the forum such as rearranging usb cables and reinstalling updates. Very tired of all this. Should i return the unit?

ahhh ok, i shouldve scrolled up to read some more myself :slight_smile:

It is very possible that there is a fault with your setup and not with the software or device, but it could be a software bug of course, beta software etc. Can you describe your setup in detail? Have you submitted a report?

2 Likes

Can someone at Elektron please explain why such a limitation was imposed with Overbridge? It was never the case before and it wasn’t the case with the closed beta. I just don’t understand why you would make it like this, it makes Overbridge unusable in my setup (I’ve no interest in using it for audio streaming or sequencing), really anti-climactic given how long we’ve waited for OB, I’ve been submitting tickets for over 6 months trying to get an explanation. The infuriating thing is it doesn’t have to be this way as it wasn’t before but Elektron have decided it was a good idea to impose this auto latency compensation thing every time OB opens.

Please re-think this, many people have their Elektron hooked up to audio interfaces and outboard mixers and have no need for OB streaming but would like to make use of the UI without having all their other hardware thrown out of sync.

2 Likes

Does not work on Analog Four MK1 Sierra

For what it’s worth, I just set up a new clean dual-boot Catalina volume on my Mac Pro. Neither my Rytm Mk1 nor my AK are recognised, after install of this PB version. Mojave - all is (relatively) fine.

I guess that the only way to have param-locks in that scenario, is essentially to use velocity? The old-school way of doing it - used to do that back in the 90s.

I don’t follow, what do parameter locks have to do with it?

There was no issue with parameter locks when they had the closed beta or Overbridge 1.0. You could simply open OB turn off clock and transport, then use your DAW as usual with your audio interface syncing and clocking all your hardware as usual but take advantage of the Overbridge UI. You could also choose whether or not to stream the audio from Overbridge or just use the audio from your interface. For some reason it was decided that you can’t do this anymore (because everyone using it only uses Elektron machines anyway and is happy with OB’s average audio quality? Or something? I don’t know, the mind boggles. Given that I’ve been trying to get an answer to this for about a year now I’m guessing I’ll never know).

P-locks pretty-much depend on events in the Elektron sequencers. If we’re being told that we should sequence from the host DAW, then we lose a lot of the p-lock functionality.

Will have to give up trying to use OB 2030 in a session. Plagued by hanging notes on my DN, can’t record audio properly (don’t understand effects routing - recorded audio loses onboard effects). Going back to old-skool audio in and recording separate audio tracks and muting on the DN.

Sigh…

1 Like

The effects are just like using outboard gear with a mixer, they are send effects so you can send whichever tracks to them you’d like. That’s why the recorded audio loses the effects. Just like with outboard, you have to either track each layer of audio individually to have for example a dry track and separate 100% wet tracks for reverb, delay, etc containing only that instrument, or track in a bunch of layers simultaneously but your 100% wet reverb track from your rack verb of whatever will contain all the instruments you sent to that effect. Know what I’m saying? I understand your frustration though, the effects are totally integrated with the engine and losing them makes the whole Overbridge proposition much less enticing.

ARmk2 connected via usb to a desktop PC (meets requirements for overbridge), also using a Presonus Audiobox 22VSL as my soundcard with VSL disabled. MIDI input disabled on the Rytm. I’m using ableton 9 live standard as my daw and the 64bit VST. Sometimes overbridge engine will not come up with the “fault” message but the VST will then not be able to find the Rytm despite it being displayed as ‘active’ on engine. One thing i haven’t tried yet is the 32bit vst, so i’ll give that a go today.
Hope this detail helps!

There’s something about the OB workflow that feels off - overly complex - that reduces the benefits of separate audio ins. Using a midi controller just isn’t smooth, muting in the mixer doesn’t work (probably because of routing) and the hanging notes made it pretty much impossible to record audio or playback midi. It’s disappointing because I really wanted it to work - but this is late-stage beta and it feels far from sorted. There are probably configurations I’ve got wrong, but it felt like a fight. Back to my old workflow of separate audio in via audio interface and usb-midi and immediately everything just works.

Not sure what else to say.

Sure, I wasn’t really responding to those complaints, have no idea what your config is etc, just wanted to explain to you the effect architecture since you were confused by it and why the effects aren’t included with each track. Even without OB though, haven’t you noticed that sending multiple tracks to the delay and then modifying delay params results in all delayed sounds affected from all tracks with delay? There is only one. I’m assuming you read the manual, where the entire system architecture is laid out in a diagram. It’s easy to understand, in the audio voices diagram you are seeing a single voice of the Digitone and how it can be sent to each effect “unit.” I screen-capped it for you:

Question for you, have you completely read through the Overbridge 2 manual in an attempt to troubleshoot / make sure you have everything configured correctly?

Thanks for the run down on the DN effects signal path. Understood. TBH the fact that the effects are a send common to all tracks is as expected and I haven’t come up against any limitations. But the OB implementation seems less intuitive - to me at least. Yes, I’ve read the manual (there’s bits missing for the DN) and thought I’d grasped it. Obviously not. Will do my homework and maybe try again when the next beta comes out - the hanging notes issue isn’t my misunderstanding - and I’ll report this to Elektron’s beta admin. Hopefully they’ll sort it out.

Thanks for all your help - much appreciated :pray:t2:

Another update and once again time of my life wasted for overbridge. Won’t recognize any devices after updating - I’m just so tired of it. I think I had it with Elektron and its time to say goodbye

I’m being plagued by hanging notes on the DN with OB 2.0.30. Even a simple 4 to the floor with plenty of space between the midi notes in Ableton Live 9 Suite will cause some of the kicks to play infinitely. Does anyone know of a previous version of OB that doesn’t cause hanging notes with the DN?

Tried again yesterday - this time without the DN OB Plugin. I was able (after hours) to get the four channels of audio (no FX) into Ableton (using a combo of External Instrument tracks and Audio tracks) by disabling all of the audio signals and FX from ‘Main’. So I found a workable solution except for the ability to have the FX sends in Ableton. It’s just a shame that we can’t get the DN FX for each track - so if we want to record the audio with the onboard FX, we’ve got to go old-skool and record each track separately using the main audio outs. Unless I’m missing a trick?