Output works with mic input, but not line input

Hey there. I’m using a steinberg ur242 audio interface to record my rytm mk1. The outputs work with the mic lines, but not with the line inputs. Any idea why? I’d like to record without the pre-amp.

Thanks for your help in advance and sorry if there’s an obvious solution // answer here. I’m new to this!

bump

This seems like a question for the steinberg forums…is there a Virtual Mixer where you can set the line input levels, etc?

Thanks, I wasn’t sure which end was acting strange. I’ll report back what I find from Steinberg :slight_smile:

Just a guess but sometimes 1/4” are instrument (guitar) inputs only, depending on the interface.

My old Apogee Duet 2 functioned this way, and I had to use the XLR ins for line level input, and when I set the system to line input, it disabled the preamp gain.

Perhaps a similar scenario to yours.

Possibly the XLR input (if that is what you are connecting your RYTM to) is for mic level only and Jack input is needed for line or inst as per Focusrite audio interfaces.

Just had a quick look at the manual but couldn’t see how the front inputs are mic/line selectable.
If you plug your RYTM in to the rear 1/4” jack inputs does it then work properly?

i’m not sure why, but on the little yamaha mixer we use in our bluegrass duo, the switches “get switched” sometimes. …inexplicably. like one gig the mics/line switches will be normal and the next gig I might have to switch a channel. it’s weird, but i’ve not thought much about it.

1 Like

Turns out my Steinberg unit was broken :frowning:

It wasn’t working in the rear inputs because the interface wasn’t functioning correctly.

2 Likes