Outboard FX with Elektron Gear?

Do you use it direct in or with a mixer send? I’d love to hear that too.

I’ve mostly used reverb after the Digitakt. Usually need to be fairly subtle with it. It’s just nie to color the sound with something different than the (admittedly quite good) on-board reverb. I’ve used the TC Electronic Hall of Fame 2, along with a 1990s Digitech Digiverb. There’s one song on our second EP whose drum part is literally just a Digitakt kick drum plus reverse reverb from the Digiverb.

This is a dumb question, I’m aware, but I couldn’t quickly confirm it by checking. So if a pedal just has one in, one out, is 100% going to be a mono?

I just want a quick and cheap verb to use while I’m not connected to the pc with the Microvolt. I could use the DT’s but it’s stereo and obvs DT will just record the left channel, so I want mono verb.

https://www.tcelectronic.com/product.html?modelCode=P0CQ5

This seems perfect.

So far I’ve been using direct in from a couple of dedicated outputs of the rytm. But I just bought a bigger desk so I can fit my mackie 1202, so I can have a dedicated channel for each of the outputs from the rytm. Main outputs from the elektrons are still gonna be connected to my radial key-largo. Haven’t decided if I’m gonna use the sends on the mackie or just alt outputs for one units (maybe keys) and main to the other (maybe A4) :thinking:

The sends would have been a more obvious option if I had four of them since I have four inputs. Thinking of using sends to maybe Keys and mains or alts to A4.
I also have a Roland M160 from the 80’s which has four sends. But the pots are a bit scratchy and it’d require more space :thinking:

Definitely no. You need to know. For example, Strymon has a nifty input with one plug, but an internal switch changes that from mono in to stereo in.

One cable can carry a mono signal or a stereo signal. Check out the Elektron spliters. They are super handy.

You could do this, or you could use a mixer’s FX send. It usually sums to mono then returns mono or stereo.

On the A4 I have the possibility to pan each of the inputs to the centre when I want mono. Is there not a parameter for that on the DT? Sorry for answering with an other question.

Yeah of course, it’s just annoying some have two mono ins and outs and then others have a single input and don’t say ts/trs mono/stereo. I read the manual but no joy. Reverb is generally a stereo effect, so it also implies by common sense it would be stereo out. But then it’s a cheap guitar pedal…

jsprpn

Good point, I’ll see how that sounds. Can’t believe I overlooked that. The delay sounds Mono at default, spread just pans it when not in ping pong, the chorus can be set to mono via interface.

1 Like

I’ve got a delay (Eventide Timefactor) and a reverb (Meris Mercury 7) on my Aux Sends 3 + 4 respectively. I like the hands on control I get with these effects as well as the “glue” I can get by sending all signals through the same reverb, even if ever so subtly.

I also have effects on the inserts of a few devices (My Dreadbox synths) and run my Toraiz AS-1 into the Line in of my Analog 4 (I dig its effects).

At times I also experiment with my iPad as an FX unit. Either run four inserts into the iConnectivity Audio 4+ and use it that way (eg Voice into a vocoder and reverb, or guitar into an amp sim and pedals etc), or as a stereo FX unit on Aux 3+4.

In the end, it’s all about sound design and different flavours for the same thing.

1 Like

Short… Snapshots with a HX Effects unt a Digitakt @ 64/192 freebasen unt z uvadreeve like a smokin joe jimmy yo! boy am i loving this babyfacetry eet oon z spiegle.