Out of lock memory

I have been experimenting with p-locks and trigs on a MD and ran into “Out of Lock Memory” condition and cannot use any more p-locks or trig conditions. The fix took me a while and involves the CLEAR PATTERN selected by the black Bank Group button and CLEAR button.

Do the newer Elektron products have this limitation that is present in the MD?

The silver boxes have less plock memory than the dark trinity. I hear it’s easy to max out on the silvers not so much on the trinity.

2 Likes

It’s really easy to run out on the DT as well. :disappointed:

1 Like

IMO that means youre “doing it right” LOL :smiley: But in all seriousness what a PITA

1 Like

cool yeah I am brand new to plocks and trigs and Elektron so at least this is a good sandbox for me to learn for free until I buy my first Elektron box. Looking at getting the new Elektron Rytm MK2 or if a good deal comes up the first gen. I like the MD but cannot see paying same price for 15 year old Elektron gear when new gear is not much more. For some reason, the older MD are selling for high prices on the used market!

Bummer hopefully the new MK2 Rytm have more capacity for plocks as I love setting these for multiple trigs to fine tune the parameters for crafting sounds.

I think that I can create enough samples and tracks to host an entire live show JUST with one of these boxes like a Rytm, MD or DT no need for synths even!

2 Likes

I do love to hear some of your tracks

1 Like

had a similar thread few years ago …

Schrodinger came to help! …

best AND worst answer at the same time (was given to me by somebody)

… namely …

hold breath…

dramatic pause…

atmosphere intensifies …

seriously,…

calm down …

(this is the answer)

Get a Second MD …

2 Likes

sure check out my stuff here:

I did not use MD for these but used Ableton Push and Moog synthesizer.

However once I get more time with Elektron gear, I probably will produce tracks with it after I buy my own.

haha well it is not my MD just a loaner from a good friend but I will probably get the new Rytm or a used one since prices are dropping on them. Digitakt is great but too many bugs and limited.

I think that the memory restriction on plocks has more to do with the number of different parameters you p-lock than the number of triggers you p-lock the same parameter on …
So if I have a pattern and I plock 64 different parameters, that’s going to use more p-lock memory than if I have a pattern with 64 triggers on one instrument, and I plock the same parameter on each of those triggers.
What this means in practice is that if you run out of memory, you can see if there’s some plocked parameter you don’t really need, (like if you were live recording plocks, and tweaked the decay of one instrument on one trigger, but not by enough that you can hear it), and get rid of that single plock.

1 Like

of course in an ideal world we would have near infinite supply of p-lock possible.