OTx2

Is it just me or the more I use the OT the more I feel like a second OT would be the bomb? I read a comment like that once and I was like 'never in my life I would need a second OT" but here I am with seeing how easily it would fit my workflow these days.

9 Likes

17 Likes

Had two for a while going into a mastersounds 4 channel mixer. Great setup. Had to sell one but plan to get another someday. Keep buying other stuff is what gets in the way……recommend.

It’s not just you… I got a 2nd OT a few months ago!

4 Likes

How is your workflow with both ?

1 Like

Just got a second one as well.
The first one is 8 tracks of samples and 4 MIDI tracks sequencing 4 hardware synths.
The second one is 4 pairs of THRU + Neighbor to process the 4 synths.

9 Likes

2x OT here too, because best gosh darn sampling sequencer for my taste. Reliable and fast to work with, very few are as immediate, once learned.

8 Likes

It’s great because the combination gives you a variety of options that you always have access to. And in many ways these are more complex combinations than OT + another groovebox.

It means you no longer have to choose between using OT as a drum machine vs external fx processor for other gear. Or between OT as a multitrack looper vs a multitrack stem playback device. Less limitations.

It also allows you to just have a clone of one Project in the other, and mix between them without having to setup a transition loop track.

And if you run one into the other, you only need the last in the chain to run a master track if a master track is desired. It’s all very flexible.

5 Likes

And, as always, forum search will give you some nuggets of wisdom:

3 Likes

Thank you for supporting the Grey community :robot:

1 Like

I don’t think my brain could handle the power of two OTs at once live.

It varies depending on what type of music I’m making. For Hiphop I’ll use one for drums and sequencing my modular synth, Syntakt and DN, and I’ll have the stereo outs of OT1 being processed and mangled by OT2 via thru machines and neighbor tracks, I also chop and mangle samples with the 2nd OT.
For Techno/IDM sets I use OT one to play and mangle drum loops and sequence, 2-4 synths, I use the 2nd OT for more mangling and live looping. I mostly use the two OTs for live 30-60 sets.
Everytime I turn it on I learn new ways to approach it.

2 Likes

Rumour has it that if you buy 8 Octatracks then Eddy Elektron himself comes to your house to perform a private concert

5 Likes

Funny enough there was a guy who said he was going to buy 8 of them when they first came out, bonus points to anyone who can remember his forum name.(he was on the old forum, not sure if he joined here)

I remember his name, but I have no idea if he ever made good on his claim and ever did get 8.

4 Likes

Have 2, seriously thinking of a 3rd :grimacing:

2 Likes

Nice! I keep on moving mine between my acoustic setup and my electronic setup. But at some point, I’d love to play both setups at the same time, moving from an accounting looping to my electronic rig… having four audio out from each OT going into my 8 ins my vs-1880… I should start thinking of a way to make money with music :smiley:

I have two — one is currently out for repairs but I have a plan for them: in the studio they will essentially be two octatracks. For standard work they will just go straight into the desk, for some continuous mix stuff I do they well go into an Xone:23 and will act like two different decks; for live sets I’m working on starting from zero and building up samples from records and synths on the fly and one works as the sampler and the other works as the mixer / fx processor.

Shaggie / High Sage.

As I recall, he did grab a couple.

2x (or 3x even) Octatrack’s could be much better if they fixed a few bugs.

2 Likes