Other than Analog Heat, what are some effects hardware that add warmth, fatness, etc?

Elysia Karacter
Overstayer NT-02A
Evol Audio Fucifier

2 Likes

You can often use really cheap guitar pedals and get great sounds on synths. supposedly) Bad for guitar does not necesarily mean bad for synths. The thing to bear in mind is that guitars have a relatively narrow and mid-y range. If you want to keep more low end in your synths, try bass drive and distortion pedals.

2 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Analog Heat on insert or aux?

In need of a hardware distortion unit. Anyone tried both of these? Heat looks great but I really like the Oto boxes. What do you guys/gals think?

2 Likes

I have all the boxes from the OTO range aside from Boum. I also have Heat MK1. If you want something more flexible go for heat. If you want a vintage creaminess that does just a few things but really really well. Go for Boum. Ultimately I will be getting both as I think they are 2 unique flavours that I can use for different types of music!

1 Like

Im struggling whether to buy OTO Boum or AH!

Id like something to ‘analogize’ / saturate / overdrive my MDUW, MNM, OT stereo outs and SW synths, not so much to destroy the signal, but I’ll keep my right to destroy when needed :slight_smile:

So far these two looks the most promising regarding the price.

I’ve read somewhere that AH gets crunchy quite easily and that is closer to OTO Biscuit in that regard than to Boum which is more ‘creamy’…

Among other things AH has something Boum doesn’t have and that is the shelving eqs at the end of the signal path to spice it up a bit further, something I believe could be very useful. Afaik Boum only has filters, unless it has variable resonance on the LP filter which would be as good as the shelving eqs in my ears

Pls help me decide!

P.s. im not interested in cassette recorders

1 Like

I sometimes run my Octatrack through a little Allan and Heath Z10 analogue mixer. It cost me 200AUD second hand. I bought it because I needed a mixer. I found I could overdrive it, run a really hot signal into it (red lights a-flickering) and it sounds gorgeous. Rich full lush saturated goodness, or ‘warmth’ if you will.

1 Like

Thnx for the suggestion but im using OT as a mixer for MD and Mnm and the mixer is too big i need something physically smaller

1 Like

ok! after watching the sonicstate AH promo video there’s no turning back for me now… im gonna buy AH.
Boum has no chance against it imo

3 Likes

You’re not alone :joy:

Rupert Neve 542 https://www.rupertneve.com/products/542/
Dangerous Music 2-BUS+ https://dangerousmusic.com/product/2-bus-plus/

If the 2-BUS sounds interesting you might want to read Sound On Sounds review of Dangerous Music’s Convert-AD+ https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/dangerous-music-convert-ad-plus

:crazy_face: the 2 bus+ costs 3600 euros.

i wish i was that rich…

the 500 tape emu is quite boring tbh and too expensive for what it is imo

imo nothing competes with AH in its price range, not even if you double the money

i thought i need only something to ‘warm up’ my music but after watching some videos i realized i need something to excite it actually more and AH sounds like an answer to my wishes more then anything else in any price range.
el fatso (and ubk fatso) is close second, which is less exciting and more ‘warming’ , no envelopes, no eq, no flo

1 Like

I was really suprised how well the rat can do this. Most guitar pedals ive tried on synth have been pretty meh. This is one of the good ones and a good budget choice if thats a consideration

1 Like

the stereo rat pedal is something i always wanted to try but it’s still 340 us dollars + shipping to eu + taxes…it’s a lot but i saw them going for under 200 us dollars used

Basically you can use any type of vca / amplifier and drive it to saturation (starts clipping) and you have your heat.

1 Like

I think id like to try to make one. If i ever get the urge to make a pedal again.

Ive made a tremolo pedal and then a fuzz factory. My work is pretty messy but they both still work anyway.

Id have to look into whats involved though. Maybe theres a reason its expensive. Ive found ProCo to be one of most responsive companies in business fwiw. They support their products even if you bought it used

1 Like

hey so how did the analog heat work out for you? i just got my mk2 today. super excited. but now i’m checking out the OTO devices especially BOUM and getting rather itchy haha. anyways. PS looking at the dates you must have gotten the AH like a month before the mk2 got announced? lol peace

It’s not a heat

But I run this on an aux bus for creamy.

https://www.ehx.com/products/lpb-2ube

1 Like

I run everything either through a Mooger Fooger MF-101 , Vermona Retroverb or DFAM before sampling it .

1 Like

would have liked to get one of these, but they are really hard to come by

1 Like