OT Timing issues

I’m one week into learning the OT and having some difficulty that’s hard to explain. In general, I’m experiencing a number of timing related issues:

1. occasionally when sampling an incoming track (via thru machine), using quantized record and setting the record length to 32 (pattern length), I’ll press Rec3 to start recording, and it will engage on time according to the settings. However, when I go to play back this sample, it’s not starting on the same sample as the loop (which is still playing). For instance the recorded loop might start on the 2, or an upbeat rather than 1.

2. On some projects, there is a noticable sync drift. I’ve got my DSI Tempest running Slave thru MIDI to the OT Master Clock. When I play a pattern on the Tempest, it will begin in sync and slowly drift out. So if I record a loop from the Tempest onto a track of the Octatrack and play along with the Tempest, they will continually fall out of sync over time.

I’m wondering if there are any clock related settings that I might be overlooking. Or maybe there is a bug with this unit?

Any help would be appreciated!

Rec Setup 2 > QREC = PLEN ?
Playback with a regular trig ?

You can also use a one shot rec trig (rec setup) to record, press it to arm it.

To check sync, you can use a rec trig (rec setup) and a regular trig with a Flex playing corresponding track buffer ( RECORDING 1 for track 1). This way you can play what you record directly, and long as there is no SRC3 recording source (Rec Setup).

Clock and Transport checked in MIDI SYNC page ?
Tempest clock receive On ?
Sounds like only midi transport works (Start/Stop), but no Clock sync.

No other settings afaik. Never heard about such drift, and I know someone using a Tempest and OT who never complained about it…

Qrec = 32, playing back with regular trig.

I’m not quite sure what this means… - “To check sync, you can use a rec trig (rec setup) and a regular trig with a Flex playing corresponding track buffer ( RECORDING 1 for track 1). This way you can play what you record directly, and long as there is no SRC3 recording source (Rec Setup).”

Yes, MIDI is sending clock and trans to Tempest, and are being received there.

It’s possible that I’ve got some other settings set up in the project that is causing the issues, as sometimes it’s playing back just fine (maybe a little phasey). Is there a way to quickly nuke a track back to all original settings (i.e. no plocks, no slice grid, etc, etc.)?

Is your start parameter on playback page 1 set to 0? Or do you have a scene that affects it?
About the outgoing sync; do you have any other gear you could check with? There’s not a lot of complaints about OT clock out but a quick internet search tells me Tempest users have had trouble slaving it to an external clock.

1 Like

Means you can use a recorder played by a flex on the same step as a Thru machine. Basically you can play what you record at the same time and check if your settings are wrong…

Can’t develop now…

Also check delay compensation in the manual…