OT timestretch quality

Hi,

I’m quite new to the OT and I’m experimenting with it.
One of the main feature that lead me to buy an OT was timestretching, but I’m not really convinced by it… Compared to Ableton’s one, the OT’s timestretching is not very clean and artefacts seem to appear quickly when slowing down a sample.

What is your opinion ? Am I doing something wrong ?

Yeah it is not the best, but if you set the samples bpm as accurately as possible (in audio editor attributes) and do not deviate too far from the original tempo it can be useable, also be sure to set it to beat only if using drum loops, for anything else use normal.

4 Likes

Yeah, ok, this is what I was thinking
Actually I’m trying to slow down ambient loops but it starts to stutter. Maybe it’s the kind of work I should be doing in ableton and then sending it back to the OT.

This. Also paulstretch. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

…there is no realttime stretch algorithm on this planet, that does’nt create some artifacts if u pusch it way too long…
and i have’nt touched ableton in quite some years…but when i came to the ot, i was pretty amazed ‘bout ot’s stretch capabilities…
and it sounded way more musically than all abeltons stretch algos had to offer in those days…
i know they made a new step up in quality since version nine and ten, but the computer never was an instrument too mee, just a tool…
so give ot and u some time, and u gonna find out, that it sounds all in all pretty awesome, once u really go beyond strechin’ just some loops to line them up correctly beyond 30% under their original tempo…
and wait, til u’ve heard ot stretching way over 80% off it’s inner tempo…complete new planet of otherworldy sounddesign options, promise…
and never forget to spend ur samples, slices, loops and bits some fx for further make up…there it only starts…
if u just bought it for squeezing prefab loops and hope for same results as in the original tempo, u better go back to ableton…
ot is made for exploring sonic terretories u never thought of before…not for catching up and competing with computers…it’s a musival instrument u can use in more than thousand different ways…stretching is just another sideaffect beside so many others to it…discover and explore…
and keep in mind, u can always twiddle a bit with the different stretch options in the playback page…so don’t go for accuracy that much, go for new sonic adventures…

5 Likes

Totally agree. Don’t forget it’s real-time for 8 tracks. Use a dedicated software for more natural results or use it creatively.
Up to 6400% slower with Rate set to Timestretch.

12 Likes

Hey I think I asked this in another thread, but how did you do this insane trickery?:+1:

1 Like

i still don’t know what Rate set to Timestretch actually means

Thanks guys !

Yeah I totally get that the OT is about going deep in experimentations (I had a digitakt and wanted to go deeper) but I was trying to assess which tool should be used for what. Just figured out the Rate timestrecth thing, it’s indeed really crazy :wink:

@Orwell @previewlounge
Rate set to timestretch allows you to control the rate of the sample in two different ways. You can set it to be controlled by the pitch, hence when you slow it down it gets longer and the pitch is altered. Or, you can set it to be controlled by the timestretch, in this case, the pitch stayes the same, and you get @sezare56’s kind of sound.

3 Likes

And you decide the Rate’s setting by double pressing the Playback button

Never heard of paulstretch before, gonna have a look thx !

One track with the loop
Playback Setup > Rate = Timestretch

Copy / paste to the 7 other tracks

T1 - Plock Scene B > Rate = 1
T2 - Plock Scene B > Rate = 2
T3 - Plock Scene B > Rate = 4
T4 - Plock Scene B > Rate = 8
T5 - Plock Scene B > Rate = - 1
T6 - Plock Scene B > Rate = - 2
T7 - Plock Scene B > Rate = - 4
T8 - Plock Scene B > Rate = - 8

Move crossfader from A to B.

13 Likes

so… is it a kind of bit rate reduction to timestretch further while staying in sync with the current bpm

You can also program your own timestretch with retrig and lfo’s as explained in this vid. Sounds pretty grainy but cool. https://youtu.be/rFEBWNdC0hQ

1 Like

…it’s all about the beauty of grain these days, anyway…

and in the first two years of ableton, that shitty grainy sound was THE sound esthetics of it’s time…you had to have it, otherwise ur sound was oldschool right away…

This is great. I’m going to try this with some lush pad or something.

1 Like

Ah very smart, :pray: thank you.

If you’re stretching ambient, you’re in for a treat. :slightly_smiling_face:

Manual doesn’t seem very clear about Rate possibilities with Timestretch setting indeed.

Playback Setup

RATE selects if the RATE parameter found in the main menu will affect the timestretch or pitch of the sample.

Rate (Pitch) = 32 will play the sample twice slower, an octave down.
Rate (Timestretch) = 32 will play the sample twice slower, same pitch.
32=1/2
16=1/4
8=1/8
Etc

7 Likes

Thanks for this tip. I spent all morning experimenting around with this and making some variations. It’s amazing what sounds I was able to get from my OT :grinning:

3 Likes