OT sync Ableton via Interface?

Hey, just a quick question:
Do you know if it is possible to sync via an interface?

I own the Steinberg UR44 and it has MIDI IN + OUT on the back. So I asked myself if I can use these instead of buying a Kenton MIDI to USB device. If yes, do I just have to connect MIDI OUT from OT to MIDI IN on the interface to sync Ableton?

Here you can find some details:

Thanks!

If I understand correctly, you can just send midi from ableton through interface to OT. Make sure you send midi clock and start stop messages, and receive the same in the OT. To be honest though, I’m not sure how tight the sync is that way, you might be better off the other way round

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply. This is my first time working with MIDI so everything is kind of new to me.

How to setup for »the other way round«, via Kenton MIDI to USB?

No problem … you don’t need a USB host, just use a midi cable from OT OUT to interface IN, and make sure you send midi clock and transport, then set ableton to receive these messages from the soundcard. There should be detailed tutorials or something on the ableton site, and in the OT manual

1 Like

that’s great news. thanks for that. when I invested in the UR44 I didn’t think about MIDI I/O but now I’m happy to get in all in one box. nice!

will update this thread as soon as I had a chance to test it.

Cool, sounds pretty straight forward. Try it both ways round and see what you prefer, and stays tighter

For the best possible sync set Live as the Master and OT as slave.So…
On hardware side:
Steinberg UR44 MIDI OUT -> OT MIDI IN (Check TRANSP & CLOCK RECV boxes and uncheck sends)
https://www.elektronauts.com/uploads/default/original/2X/2/2ec874dd8dd568287d5b12d12541f605fe47a658.jpg

On software side (Ableton Live):
Enable Steinberg’s UR44 Sync Output and fine tune Midi clock sync delay to match your OT-mine is around -40/-50ms (engage OT & Live metronomes and find the sweet spot)

Also beware of other latency factors too:

Cheers!

2 Likes

thank you! :rocket:

1 Like