OT suddenly stops

I just got my OT and noticed this happen twice… Its random for me. I’ll have to keep an eye on it… I am slaving it to my Digitakt at the moment and have all 8 midi tracks sequencing the Virus TI in multi-mode. It would be a shame to think I couldn’t simultaneously run 8 midi sequences from my TI without it choking up. I do a bit of knob tweaking from the Virus while its playing but that should’t effect anything on the OT… idk

In OT MIDI implementation, you’ll see there is a note that is translated as stop.
Could this be the source of the problem ?

4 Likes

a note … like I could set it up to play on a keyboard and it would translate to a stop command of the sequencer? That may be it… who knows I had not idea bout this… I really haven’t looked too much through he manual as I just got it and started looking for instructional videos. I’m more a visual learner… Manuals these days don’t seem to be too intuitive.

That’s always been the cause when it’s happened for me. The sequencer midi note commands are in the appendices in the manual, midi notes 34-36.

1 Like

Reading manuals is boring to anyone. It asks for some commitment, but if you really want to understand your instrument and get the best out of it, it’s inevitable, especially for OT.
Compare it to the years of practice to be able to e.g. play saxophone or sing a song with the guitar, it’s a small effort I reality.

Print it if it makes it easier to read, bookmark and annotate.

3 Likes

I will get down to it… I guess I’m looking for short cuts right now because I literately just got this thing two weeks before finals and its grad school level course work… *bangs head on keys ;/86RT25AE14

So is there any way to prevent them from being received? Probably not if I’m looking to sequence midi from the Virus right? :nauseated_face:

Sorrily there is no built in solution for this, but you can always use an external midi translator to filter out the offending notes.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip… I haven’t gotten that deep into MIDI and routing… Honestly I was surprised I could get all this gear hooked up the way I did already… I have a MOTU Micro express which really helped out.

I seem to recall that you can switch control-by-notes off globally in project/midi/control/“audio notes in”. Am I wrong?

This turns off receiving every midi note from the audio tracks and not just the special control notes. So sequencing the OT from external (like the OP wants) would boil down to only sending CCs to it.

Yeah, that’s what I thought too. That’s how I configured mine. I don’t use the midi tracks on the OT, except if I want the arp, which is great. (I love cascading arps)

But… I also recall that the channel the OT is listening to is the 1st available audio channel that is not used by a midi track, so if you assign your 8 midi tracks to channels 2 to 9, OT will listen for “control notes” on channel 1 which would solve the OP’s problem, right? Just make sure no “music notes” reach the OT on channel 1.

1 Like