OT suddenly stops

Continuous control changes or just a few?
Try without sending them.
Does it stops randomly?

Does ableton have a timeline it’s running on? I don’t use ableton but if I sync OT to Logic X and the timeline gets to its defined end, it stops. My solution is to make the Logic timeline length much longer…

-But just realized the others would stop too? Hmm??

jeah its quite random. will try another midi cable now, maybe its faulty… but its hart to tell since sometimes it works for half an hour.
no just send one ctrl change at a time. (and nothing when it actually stops)… really strange.
afaik the timeline in ableton is infinite but ill try setting it on loop.

does anyone know a way in ableton to actually restart the clock signal without starting/stopping the whole project?

I don’t use DAWs with OT from the moment.
I heard that ERM midi clock products were good to restart in sync.

ok with the new midi cable its currently running for two hours … maybe im good now :wink: jeah thought about that but i dont have timing problems with my ableton midi clock. so this would be a bit expensive just for that :wink:

1 Like

Ok I hope everything will be ok for you ! :thup:
Yeah I found ERM multi clock expensive, even if it seems to be efficient. It let you stop a device and restart in sync apparently, that’s why I mentioned it.

I’ve never had issues with my midi cables, I thought it was kind of not working at all if broken, I don’t know if it can create random stops but that make sense.

hmm. problem persists. no idea really :frowning: really stupid to test also cause its only once a while…

Did you try another MIDI cable?

1 Like

To me it seems weird that the Digitone keeps going if it’s attached to OT’s thru port…
If the OT stopped from loosing clock or something than the Digitone should to. :thinking:

1 Like

jep i replaced the cable from my motu soundcard to the octa. weirdly i have the feeling that it always happens when i press something on the analog 4, which makes no sense cause its not connected either back to the octa or the computer.
anyway … will try to use another cable for this connection as well, even when it doesn’t make sense. also i will try to use another midi output from my computer.
still, as the octa is stopping and digi is continuing, i guess its a problem of the octatrack … hope its not broken somehow :frowning:

Put a MIDI monitor in line before the OT (or tee off the data at that point to something that can monitor) and when the OT stops, stop monitoring and look at the data to see what caused it.

(I have a MIDI patchbay so I often just send the problem stream to the device and also to my iPad running a MIDI Monitor).

Yes multiclock does. Excellent master clock.

tried that already but i couldnt get midiOX to monitor my output midi stream internally in the computer. think i have to install a internal midi routing tool to get that to work or just monitor the stream coming from the through port on the octa.
will try again this evening.

The Thru stream should be OK. The MIDI spec says it’s supposed to echo everything received at the Input. I use MIDI-Ox on the PC a lot, but I have something else generating the MIDI data (Cirklon), so I never had to mess with that internal routing stuff.

If you have a MIDI->USB cable you could probably even use a phone or something. Even another sequencer that records all the MIDI information would work.

at my research about midi clock issues i stumbled upon this: https://alexandernaut.com/linktomidi/
that could be an free alternative to the multiclock !! you would need something to get midi out from the iphone though , anyone has an idea how?

Or send clock from… Digitone, if it can send and receive clock as A4.

I just got my OT and noticed this happen twice… Its random for me. I’ll have to keep an eye on it… I am slaving it to my Digitakt at the moment and have all 8 midi tracks sequencing the Virus TI in multi-mode. It would be a shame to think I couldn’t simultaneously run 8 midi sequences from my TI without it choking up. I do a bit of knob tweaking from the Virus while its playing but that should’t effect anything on the OT… idk

In OT MIDI implementation, you’ll see there is a note that is translated as stop.
Could this be the source of the problem ?

4 Likes

a note … like I could set it up to play on a keyboard and it would translate to a stop command of the sequencer? That may be it… who knows I had not idea bout this… I really haven’t looked too much through he manual as I just got it and started looking for instructional videos. I’m more a visual learner… Manuals these days don’t seem to be too intuitive.