OT - sound quality

I caught most of their UK live gigs save for a few like ATP (apparently amazing) and the Ocean. They were often brain-elevatingly great, even when Balance was off-balance.

yeah i like metal recently, but what has that got to do with the octatrack?
start a new thread or something

1 Like

Guilty (though most of this is not really metal, tbf)

It doesn’t matter what I put thru my OT. It comes out sounding like a Merzbow album

3 Likes

Farm animals and lab rats will be very happy. I DJed with Merzbow one time - he was quite pleasant to meet. Nadja is another guitar-bass-drum machine duo who played on the same bill - really great people and amazing records and live dronegaze (or whatever) performances - I forget what they use for drums… might even be an OT these days (desperate attempt to bring this back to the thread…).

i guess its better than complaining about stupid shit…

1 Like

drew mcdowell was supposed to play here with puce mary last year, but it got cancelled naturally.

1 Like

We were hoping to get him to do a Sonic Sound Synthesis modular set, but the first series ended before it could happen - maybe next time. Missed him live too! He does use an Octatrack from time to time as well. Sound quality’s probably amazing.

2 Likes

The thing about hardcore audiophiles is that there are two main paths they can go down. One is to get superstitious and buy $10,000 power strips to get BETTER MIDS, the other is to actually learn about the stuff they’re hearing and become stuff like acoustic engineers and speaker designers and DAC/ADC designers and those people who design and handbuild their own turntables. That second variety are usually pretty great.

I’m not counting the third path, which is to become the person who sells the $10,000 power strips, because it’s hard to say whether or not any one of them actually believes it. There’s a fine line between audiophile and carny.

3 Likes

I used to see Earth play atleast once a year in Newcastle until I moved to Brighton, and met new gf who was a musician was mates with Dylan’s wife, so j got to spent a few good times with Earth just talking, drinking. He’s such an interesting guy, and better for being off the drugs. I was always conscious of the fact that he bought kurt cobain the shotgun he used….

2 Likes

Best EW album

2 Likes

Yes! Finally someone agrees with me

Now I’m gonna be in this all day.

Get off my case motherfucker!!!

I hope this fucking world fucking burns away!!
And I’d kill you all if I had my way!!!

I love resampling this through my OT due to its high quality output. It actually makes it sound more satanic

3 Likes

Last time I saw Acid Mothers was weird. My band was opening for them but Makoto had a really bad head cold and their synth had broken in NYC the night before so they only had a Korg Monotron and a delay pedal for that. They ended up spending most of the set playing the main riff from a Yes song (I don’t know Yes well enough to remember the name) at full volume through over-bright Marshall full stacks in a room with a capacity of less than 200 (which is WAY too small for a full stack).

2 Likes

my friend has gone the 10,000 dollar power strip path, every time i go to his house he has a new pair of 20,000 dollar speakers, dacs etc…
ive been producing music for 20 years and the things hes talking about are so minor,
he might hear it?
but it depends on the music you play a shit song is a shit song…

hes now selling audio gear and i think the whole thing is nonsense as someone that has qualifications in sound production… but hes making money now you know what im sayin?

OT sound quality is good enough,
and it could be mastered for pop radio stations to meet the loudness…
the time stretch of a sample well? maybe not

always thought liz’s prevous band sour veins album will to mangle did that whole thing better.

Love that this absurd meme of a thread has found new life as the water cooler

4 Likes

Do you mad lads know of a north east band called Drunk In Hell? Bish who is the singer set up and runs Opal tapes. They’re one of my all time fave live bands, they kinda took what brainbombs did and improved in every aspect. I suggest you stick this in your OT, and see how it holds up. It’ll probably hang itself in the garden shed

2 Likes

fosho, good band. brainbombs are untouchable tho but if theyre your mates i get what you mean

Haha yeah, they where a local treasure, and I had some wild times doing the odd gig with em, one at the 1in12 club in Bradford that’s probably a bit too spiced for the public, but yeah. I prefer over brainbombs

1 Like