OT - sound quality

I would just like to chime in and say that I do think that the OT does have a specific sound quality.

Whether it is good, bad, or neutral is beyond me. I am just here to hear myself type.

5 Likes

So, have we concluded, that the OT sounds great, as long as you donā€™t touch the audio, once itā€™s in thereā€¦? :wink:

Iā€™m kidding! (or, well, Iā€™m not, really, but to each his own, and Iā€™m glad that you all love it)

Keep the thread alive :heart:

Agree, what I learned from all of you that the OT sounds natural. The main issue for me is more about the sonic quality.

I think itā€™s comparable to ā€œwarmā€ HiFi vs. ā€œneutralā€ Studio Monitors only that OT sounds more digital :grinning: and it has weird default settings that degrade (Timestretch, Filter)

1 Like

Out of subject : does the digitakt has a better sync and latency than OT while plugged in Ableton ?

Beautiful! Especially the last track!

2 Likes

To define it like this might be something else. What about the average use to sample from vinyl into the OT?

Like we spoke before, analog outboard processing. Sample content, how raw can it be?

Not true at all

1 Like

What do you mean by latency?

Nonsense. The tools available in the Octatrack affect the sonic palette in a certain direction.

Likewise, and Sunn O))) too. Music you can feel in your thorax and bloodsteam. OT not required by any of those bands, but might be an interesting addition (Sunn O)))'s Moog sounded amazing on a huge PA).

1 Like

Man sunn 0))) are fuxking incredible live. I feel like Iā€™ve gotten pretty close to nailing their sound (putting your synths thru actual sunn 0 stacks/orange/fender or vox amps certainly helps

I can still feel MBV doing the 25 min Holocaust section of you made me realise, I was seeing mad colours instead of hearing it, there was peoples curled up in balls in the floor, it was one of the most intense things Iā€™ve ever experienced. I felt like my bones where gonna snap.

1 Like

Had a jam with the Octatrack tonight, sounds normal and good to meā€¦.
Audiophile nonsense is pointless, a crap song is a crap song doesnā€™t matter how good your gear is

4 Likes

External tools do too :slightly_smiling_face:

OT has some midi latency delay whit Ableton, especially when OT is master.

Yes nyt implying its only capable of one sound, or has a basic tonal quality distinctive enough that a listener can tell that an OT was used is either ignorant or trolling. Not sure which.

2 Likes

Did you ever see swans? In a way more intense than sunn o

Depends on the iteration of Swans - I never saw them in the 80s/90s, but people I know who did said the new format is a lot less brutal and intense than it was then. I have seen the 2010s Swans quite a few times, including at some relatively small venues, and they have always been full-tilt (though the sound at the Roundhouse in London wasnā€™t quite right when sat upstairs, where it was also reasonably muffled for MBV too). Swans are generally more musical than Sunn O))), with songs and even (gasp!) melodies creeping in.

The 2010ā€™s band iteration yeah. Saw em and sunn o at the same venue with a great sound system, they were equally loud but swans was more intense due to a wider sonic palette. Sunn o was around as intense as Sleep, heavy but more ā€œmetalā€ than actually sonically devastating.

I also saw sunn o at a theatre with an awesome PA as well as a venue large enough to allow them to use their actual amps and cabs. It was loud but so bass heavy that I actually found it a bit boring.

1 Like

Well, perfect, itā€™s settled then :+1:

1 Like