OT - sound quality

This tread made me getting a soft sampler :space_invader:

2 Likes

Wait what? Everyoneā€™s ears donā€™t have a low ring?

2 Likes

Corrected it for you :wink:

No, itā€™s a secret message from space divided across all tinnitus sufferers.
My part is a sine just above middle C.
Now all we have to do is put them togetherā€¦ :thinking:

4 Likes

After stealth dropping the hardware (OT) the alien originators finally want to see results to judge if humankind is worthy of ascension ā€¦ so, yeah, letā€™s crowd source the ultimate symphony ā€¦ :smiley:

5 Likes

Its funny but ive had tinnitus for so long(30 years) that ive forgotten whats its like not to have a 747 gearing for take off in one ear.

1 Like

Canā€™t believe this thread is still alive. But hey ho. It almost died for five days but now itā€™s back.

@sabana Damn. In one ear too. Does that affect you working on things in the stereo field?

OT sounds good!

1 Like

The whole concept of the OT force you to a certain type of character in sound. I want more contrast to manipulate the audio palette :wink:

How bad is it? I just listened to audio samples online of what it sounds like and Im guessing I donā€™t have tinnitus. I have a high pitch sound in my right ear but its at like -30db. With any ambient noise I have to focus to hear it, but its always ā€œin the mixā€. How loud is yours?

Totally. I also can only listen on the phone in one ear. It freaked the life out of me as a young lad but time has made it mostly unoticeable unless iā€™m talking about it. And yes its there high pitched whistle.

2 Likes

Its bad. But i can still mix and make tracks. On a bad day if im stressed(and stress is one of the biggies with tinnitus) its very annoying and makes me want to just go to bed.

1 Like

Sorry man. Sucks to hear (ha?) that. On the bright side, the OT sounds good in that ear :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes positive thinking is good. Ive never really talked about it much as there are worse things in life.

4 Likes

I have the same problem. Similar to your other thread regarding micro detail music making, I also can only play on headphones for about an hour then I get ear fatigue and have to switch everything off. Day to day I donā€™t really notice it but itā€™s a real pain when designing sounds.

1 Like

I got it occasionally, itā€™s kinda trippy and low level, but Ive most certainly abused my ears over the years, after spending my entire childhood learning to use them and having perfect pitch, which seems to run in the family weirdly enough. I even went to university to study creative music tech and performance, as it was then and did a MA where I was teaching other people how to train theirs, the irony of which is not lost on me. Iā€™ve done a few hearing tests itā€™s easy enough to do with a daw, and I can still hear reliably up to around 16k, which considering my age and amount of speaker hugging Iā€™ve done at raves, itā€™s not too bad.

Iā€™m super lucky and I wouldnā€™t wish it on anyone, tinnitus is no joke, snd a lot of people who work in our particular business end up with severe hearing loss. Itā€™s hard to reliably do front of house mixing if youā€™re not aware of the resonant frequency of some object in the room, particularly when being a live sound engineer is generally a pretty tough business to make any money in. Same as being in bands for years and going a bit overboard with our back line gear when rehearsing. I dunno what my life would be without music in it, and I do try to be as careful as possible these days.

Edit - shit sounding OT music not withstanding of course

2 Likes

Can meditation help you unhear OTā€™s bad sound? Find out today!

The tinnitus filter improves the OT sound

1 Like

Absolutely, it helps if you want to make a tape loop seem overly complicated too, by recording a over saturated drone and looping it around a bunch of cacti, In the insta-school of style over substance and self important dirge looping forever, through a circuit bent Walkman.

3 Likes

Sounds familiar :slight_smile:

1 Like

Depends on uses imho. Even if manipulating audio in a drastic way is an OT strength, I donā€™t think it forces users wanting to play samples to manipulate audio in a destructive way (especially long stems).

What is the concept?
Maybe Elektron realized with users and their own team the strength of recorders sequencing along with independent players in Machinedrum UW and wanted to develop it with additional creative ideas? :thinking:

So, talking about character, just to be clear again, even if there is a little loss in higher frequencies, sound seems pretty flat with neutral settings. I donā€™t think that the quality loss is obvious to non-trained ears.
Not enough sound differences to talk about character imho. I even prefer quality loss, high frequencies roll off.

The concept is also to manipulate audio drastically on 250 parameters of 8 tracks, using fx and pitch settings drastically, it can be muddy easily if youā€™re not careful, like Hipass on fx when possible, especially on Dark Reverb. As some users mentionned, compared to other samplers, I think thereā€™s a quality loss using pitch (timestretch off).

Getting older, Iā€™m afraid an extra eq will be more and more necessary to my ears anyway! :content:

10 Likes