OT - sound quality

Satisfactory for live use, imo. Not sure why a comparison of reverbs needs to be “fair”. Someone said the DT reverb sounds better. I said these plugins sound better. And they do.

Yeah, I usually compose and sound design without the computer, definitely. But when it’s time to mix I still prefer plugins for most effects.

1 Like

Comparing the DT and OT is fair as they’re both samplers with multifx, not standalone hard/software.

Anyway I agree with you re serious mixing tho.

Okay :ok_hand:

1 Like

The DT normalizes everything at 16 bit mono
perhaps you like that sound better give it a try on the octatrack and see if that’s what it is

Yes me too to be honest

maybe, huhu - but let me decide what my music should sound like :sun_behind_large_cloud:
guys, I didn´t intend to bring somthing up that [BIG] now.

it´s just, my ears would love to get thru-zero-osc-brilliancy all day. To me, especially the resolutions of the Reverbs don´t sound like the edge these days - basta.
(and why would people buy Eventide or Strymon anyway then, huh?)

But, yeah! Since the beginning I was willing to accept these flaw for getting a really great piece of performance-hardware anyway.

I just addressed my number-one-wish to heavens ( and it wouldn´t be a biggy to adopt the DT´s FX, I´m mostly shure) !

piece

I use the Octatrack for stereo 24 bit samples can’t be beat you may want to fiddle with the equalizer Its quite amazing

the DT is very Plug & play

you do have to make sure everything is set up correctly depending on what you’re doing with the OT & the quality of your samples etc

I love OTS reverb :frowning: haha

3 Likes

Just a little comparsion - bass guitar via audio interface Saffire pro 24 dsp and in the same time (splitted) via Octatrack MK2 - NO PREAMPS, bass - passive. (Slapping just for more highs). Maybe there’s a little difference, maybe not - but preamps on new octa are really nice

4 Likes

If Elektron was going to update anything re the time stretching algorithms I wish it would be the chromatic mode. The Digitakt definitely sound better there. I usually end up sequencing simpler if I need more octaves. I’ve learned to live with it but it would be a nice update.

2 Likes

change the tempo on the audio file? works for me

1 Like

At the end I must say it is NOT about lush (“mushy”) against brilliancy - and not all about resolution. It´s about taste, right?
Sorry for not being specific.

There have been - and are! - great machines out there solving things with 12-bit (https://youtu.be/9NOxzjc_VWU and https://youtu.be/qNyoqIb7rZ4and) while this approach let things give it huge grittiness.

Seriously: At the beginning I´ve looked into the OT´s settings if there isn´t any 12-bit mode or so for sampling!! :plate_with_cutlery:

btw -
what do you guys think of the lo-fi?
:skull:

1 Like

Dig the lo if. In particular the sample reduction and amp modulation. You can get some nice rhythmic ducking movement pretty easily. The distortion sounds good to me when it’s used subtly but cranked up I find it pretty harsh.

3 Likes

Yeah lofi is good. Amp modulation is underrated imo. Working that into a second fx -comb, reverse time delay - wild stuff.

3 Likes

as someone mentioned, it depends on the gainstaging, 24 or 16bit - and of course sample-quality

sometimes the timestrech and pitch algos can add some nice crazy sounds - depending on the source-material and carefully filtering/EQing

anyway, in my case i run everything thru compressors and audio-processing units, so the original source is altered in different ways

regarding reverb, you could run your samples thru reverb in your DAW and then chain it for some slices

2 Likes

I fkn love the lo-fi how long have you had the OT for? it takes a min mess with the lfos just did this real fast over kill with the reverb but the octa sounds good man https://www.elektronauts.com/uploads/default/original/3X/5/a/5a9c999aebdff5c5afd477888b723b31b411bb84.mp3

1 Like

Not the best lofi, but with modulations and plocks can be very efficient, as with all OT’s Fx.

Muddy example of Lofi abusing with crossfader, simple loop.

6 Likes

Comments about the OT sound quality, especially the FX, have been posted about for years, and would have been easy to find by Google search before deciding whether or not to buy one. I have an Eventide H9 btw. Quite a number of OT owners here have external FX devices, and some do patch them into the OT signal chain. I prefer to use my OT in parallel with external FX.

I like the LoFi too. Quite versatile, and fun to play with SRR, BRR, and distortion for various flavors of grit. I won’t claim it’s better than my fuzz pedals, Fryete SAS pedal, or current generation guitar amp/pedal modeling, but useful to have it inside in the OT as explained by sezare.

The OT sounds best to me with an external preamp in front of the audio inputs. Most of the time the preamp is just the a mixer preamp.

4 Likes

Interested to hear if anything has been changed in the new black versions from those who have upgraded.

My only thoughts about the OT MKI when I had it, was when playing more melodic type synth stems I really noticed the coloration of the sound more than I did with drums. But I wasn’t really looking at gain staging which a few people have mentioned is important with the OT. The DT sounds very good to my ears so wondering if the OT MK2 black versions have been given some shiny new D/A converters etc