Thank you all!
0303 day!
Make acid music! :wine_glass:
And watch out for your earsā€¦:content:
(wash it sometimes)

9 Likes

Hey - congrats, man!

1 Like

Best sounding I had are Emulator III and Emu IIIXP. They are laboratory grade devices.
I/O on separate board with own linear power regulators, fully through-hole technology, high-end converters and opamps. Even just 44k 16bit the sound is big. EIII is the Depeche Mode Violator sound to get in context.

1 Like

I think you can safely count on arguments from both sides so Iā€™m just stating the obvious:

the OTā€™s sound quality wonā€™t make or break your song - in terms of worrying about it in the public (big or small) reception of your work, you really shouldnā€™t.

My opinion, of course (Iā€™ve got 2 OTs so Iā€™m POSSIBLY biased).

1 Like

I love the Octatrack for what it is and what it does, but it doesnā€™t sound good in the way an Emu E4 (any era) or an MPC3000 sounds good. Each of those sounds different but they all sound impressive purely by virtue of turning them on, sampling/importing some sounds and playing them.

1 Like

But not the only one. There are others who have posted on this thread besides yourself who are not satisfied with the sound.

Itā€™s fine to have that opinion, as long as the conversation remains civil - eg. no name calling like what happened yesterday.

I believe NoiseLab does not want to be part of this conversation anymore, based on his post late last night. He requested the admins to delete his posts on this thread. So please respect his wishes and do not tag him on this thread

Not sure why youā€™re quoting me here. Donā€™t get it.

You said the above. Iā€™m just saying you are not the only person with this opinion. And itā€™s ok. Perfectly fine.

ā€¦DOES a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy STILL sound like the copy of a copy of a copy of a copy of a copyā€¦???

all the miracle of resamplingā€¦on all these hardware and software samplers with all these converter magicā€¦not to mention the pre amp magicā€¦and the cable magicā€¦

so could we all turn on our beloved 12 bit converters from yeasterdays parties and discuss this question pleaseā€¦i really need to knowā€¦can some unforgiveable truu ear user please lead the way to the real thing behind all the mythā€¦pleeeaaaseā€¦
i canā€™t tell any difference anymoreā€¦lost in translationā€¦

my mpc 3000 really sounded greatā€¦had the same engine as the good old 1000 19"ā€¦
those were the game leadersā€¦
but the emus where warmer anywaysā€¦while the rolands sucked big timeā€¦not in string samples thoughā€¦i must admitā€¦while the yamahs did really well all along, even never big in the sampler gameā€¦but they had their shotā€¦not as good good as the akais of course, but almost as warm as the emusā€¦

2 Likes

But donā€™t those color the sound?

I think us ā€œfanboysā€ entire point is that just because it doesnā€™t use vintage opamps or low-bit converters or have a fixed high eq bump (DT) or isnā€™t a PC with high-end converters does not make the OT ā€œbadā€ or ā€œnot goodā€ sounding.

The detractors here might like the sound of other samplers, but it doesnā€™t make the OT bad sounding. Neutral is not bad or not good, it just isnā€™t to your taste, you want your sound colored right out of the box, so to speak.

3 Likes

ā€¦so u dare to say neutralā€¦!?
ā€¦it does not sound neutral to meā€¦it sounds flexibelā€¦thatā€™s what it soundsā€¦FLEXIBEL!!!
hear meā€¦!?
itā€™s flexibelā€¦

Yes. I guess English isnā€™t your first language maybe? I said Iā€™m one as in another person, not the oneā€¦ eye roll, sigh and carry onā€¦

Sorry, wasnā€™t aware of this. Edited my post.

SP16 definitely. Even without the filter. But then the rest of the Octatrack makes more than up for the difference in sound. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I meant no harm. Please donā€™t get upset

Definitely am not just donā€™t see the point of whatever you were trying to sayā€¦as it was already said.

This forum can be odd. Why not talk about the matter rather than individuals?

I honestly do believe it does sound better. But Iā€™m curious if ā€œbetterā€ is in the same vein, eg it colors the sound? Iā€™m not saying either way; itā€™s a genuine question.

But man that thing is hideous. :slight_smile: And, yeah, far less powerful.

If you describe what those mentioned devices are doing as ā€œcolouring the soundā€, then so does the Octatrack. It gives sounds a very subtle boxy quality, I find. The first one I owned was more or less the only device I was using for a couple of years, and it became more and more obvious as time went on.

Iā€™m on my third Octatrack at this point, and Iā€™m actually more than happy with it. But I use it for what it can do, above and beyond the sound quality.

1 Like

It was a misunderstanding, whether the fault lies in my lack of mastery English or something else.

alright, Iā€™ll let you get back to the topic