OT - sound quality

What do you call eight cats making music???

Octacats

I’ll get my coat.

4 Likes

Flat is definitely a quality for me.
Some fx are really good, some deceiving at first, but with the sequencer, lfos, scenes/crossfader they are all interesting.

Try it for a while, make your own appreciation.

So once again, as DT has extra eq, it can be flattering, but it doesn’t preserve original signal.

Not a fair comparison, and personally I prefer something flat than flattering.

7 Likes

Interesting. I also have a mackie mixer. Does this mean you’d recommend using this to route the audio of my A4 and RYTM instead of through the octa?

It means a DT is a better (mono) mixer. :content:
Or DT as eq?

I’d say it’s usually better to keep analog path.
If you need the extra eq and don’t want to use OT eq for that, yes, use your Mackie!

1 Like

I just A/B compared OT recording / play directly a CD player, and direct CD player output.

I didn’t hear the difference, I’m not sure if many people would hear it…

2 Likes

A lot of people, including myself, would fail at mp3 vs wav (lossless) test.

4 Likes

Hey Sezare I know you are OT wizard and so if you do not mind, would you share the recording parameters you use? Just so I can get a sense of how your stage the recording signal path. Because I agree the OT can sound completely transparent, and therefore ‘hi-fi’, but i think there are also lots of easy paths to user error in the OT, which is what creates the idea the OT “sounds dull/bad”

1 Like

Nothing special but a hot enough signal!
Flashing red led usually.

1 Like

and 24bit i assume?

You do encores, right?

24 bit makes a noise floor difference.
If the noise is low, you won’t make the difference with 16 bit.

2 Likes

I think I’ll quit while I’m ahead, if I’m not ahead, then I’ll save myself more embarrassment :smiley:

Someone must have made that joke before…

Good name for a band though, Octacats.

2 Likes

Happy Birthday @sezare56!!!

9 Likes

I missede the ‘today’ part completely. Shame on me! Yeah - happy birthday :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Bon anniversaire!

2 Likes

Joyeux anniversaire!

1 Like

Happy Birthday @sezare56

1 Like

Since we’re back for another round I’d just like to restate my centrist position that I CAN hear the sonic footprint of the Octatrack even when it’s set up to be as neutral as possible, but it’s REALLY, REALLY MINOR and for me it’s not relevant. It’s comparable to saving a 24 bit recording at 16 bit with proper dithering, or comparing a CD with a CD-R duplicate burned at high speed. Most people won’t hear it, the ones who can probably won’t be able to hear it consistently enough to do an A/B/X test (which are given way too much weight online but are still useful) and in the end you’ll notice a bigger change in sound by moving your listening position a couple inches.

Carry on.

EDIT: as far as defending the Octatrack’s sound quality I think there’s some merit to that not because anyone who doesn’t like it will (or needs to be) convinced, but because maybe someone who would really get a lot out of it but is hesitant to commit so much money to it could be scared off by seeing posts about it sounding “obsolete” and ruining everything that passes through it. Also it’s the Internet, people will bicker.

ANOTHER EDIT: the stuff like CD vs burned copy is the sort of thing I could hear when I was a teenager, I’m in my early 40s now and I don’t have to care about that anymore.

5 Likes

Happy birthday @sezare56! :smiley_cat:

:heart: :elot:

1 Like

from Imgflip Meme Generator

13 Likes