OT Setup issue

Hey there, I am currently working on my new recording set-up in my home studio. I am running my synths into a Mackie 1402 Mixer which goes into my Fireface. The main outs of my OT go into two separate channels of my Fireface. I want to use the AUX effects of my mixer on my OT. If I plug the OT into my mixer, I will create a feedback loop, right(? - haven’t tried it though).

Anybody who’s got a solution or tip for this kind of problem?

Greets!

No issue, you didn’t try !
You can plug it in your mixer, no feedback if OT channels have AUX set to 0.
Alt 3-4 can also be used for recording.

Feedback can be very interesting with OT!

4 Likes

Try it first before guessing if there will be a problem. Pobably there won’t be one.
You can turn down the volume for direct input.

3 Likes

I don’t see any loop in the system you described. No audio goes back from the fireface to the mixer, from the fireface to the octatrack or from the mixer to the octatrack. You should be good!

2 Likes

Is this OT routing and gain staging day or something? :thinking: Did I miss the announcement? Multiple similar threads… :smile:

3 Likes

Nice. This works fine! Conquered my fear of supposed feedback loops. Thanks.

3 Likes

Is there a way to record the outputs of my mixer into the OT with this kind of set-up? I tried it but I definitely got feedback when I am turning up the GAIN or MASTER of the inputs

Just to give you hope, yes, there’s actually quite a few ways to do it. I tried to type stuff out but I’ve got a cold and just not feelin it… But you’ll get there, someone will help eventually… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Your mixer has an alt 3/4 bus which is a second pair of outputs that a channel gets sent to when you press its mute button… A good way to go is:

-Plug your OT into the mixer, plug your mixers alt 3/4 outputs into an OT input pair, and press mute/alt3-4 on what ever synth or multiple synths you want to send to OT. You’ll need the OT setup to monitor the synths as they will be sent to OT and you’ll want them to come out of OT which will then flow to your mixer out the mains and into the interface. There’s multiple ways to do this on OT depending on use case but the easiest is to turn up the Mixer Dir parameter all the way. Just never mute/alt34 the OT channel as that’s a feedback loop…

There’s other awesome configs you can do with an OT/vlz/interface setup but they’re more complex so I’d probably start there for now…

4 Likes

Thanks a lot! This really helps me planning my live-setup.

1 Like

whats the drawback of just taking my main mackie mixer outs and inputting them into the oT and then taking the outs of the oT into one pair of inputs of my Apollo.
THEN taking a pair of OUTS from the Apollo back into the second pair of inputs of the oT so I can route any extra things from within the Apollo console virtual mixer

That way like you say u are able to easily get things into it and out

Am I missing something here?
I dont want to do anything I shouldnt that might cause me some issues later on

Im new here and this is my first post
Thanks

Eagle??

x1212

1 Like

@Open_Mike calling!