OT Science Lab - 1 year study - who’s up for it? [LAUNCHED]

Yep this.

I’m all about “limitations breed creativity” and over the past week I’ve been making patches on my Octa…If I were to get something going on my Octa I wouldn’t want to add anything in a DAW, anyway. I’d just want the stereo out recorded into the DAW and that’s it.

5 Likes

I‘m game.

2 Likes

Good to hear!

If I understood correctly I think that’s what I do since I have OT! :tongue:
Except mastering. I do it quickly in DAW (Samplitude) with a pretty neutral multiband comp after normalize. Time for multiband comp mastering with OT!

It seems pretty vague to me. Would there be thematics per period or something?
Some other clarifications?

2 Likes

Sure and you are very prolific too!

I guess the idea is open to interpretation how you see fit, I’m certain that you will think of some great new ideas within this scope, and I think it would be a great idea to have a pool of ideas from everyone to choose from as well.

The ultimate goal is for everyone who participates to have a bunch of material at the end of the year period which isn’t what they would normally have done and to hopefully learn something in the process, rather than the usual science lab where a more rigid set of guidelines/rules are in place.

I’m happy to write a bunch of ideas down and flesh it out a bit more, and I’d love to see others suggest ideas too - but I think we don’t want it to be too rigid other than make it OT only for the purpose of science and exploration :wink:

So if none of the ideas appeal to a participant then they can come up with their own.

2 Likes

Is resampling via a pedalboard kosher?

3 Likes

I don’t have an Octatrack, but will follow this! And I will wait for a Digitakt challenge coming next year. :wink:

1 Like

Sure!

1 Like

I planned to cv control radio AM from A4, eventually midi controlled by OT’s arp!
Some BBC reception maybe…:wink:

1 Like

Interesting! Since you mention radio, I was thinking of an idea using shortwave radio and two dice, new empty project, set up 8 recorders to each of the tracks, plug the radio into the OT without monitoring it just checking the input LEDs for signal, set each track recorder parameters to record type hold and on the input which the radio is connected, use manual quick record, but don’t do anything else yet.

Now set a tempo of your choice, assign fx to each track, either randomly or with specific ideas in mind - it doesn’t matter.

Select track 1, roll the two dice, whatever combination of numbers will determine the number of steps, either added together, multiplied, or tens/units - example you roll a 3 and a 6, so you could choose 9, 18, 36, 63, so you pick and set the track length to that. Next you tune the radio without listening but ensuring there is obvious signal by observing the LEDs. Now you roll the dice again (if you don’t have real dice use app/browser based/alexa/siri etc) this will give you the number of seconds to hold down the track record using the same criteria as before. You can then use the dice again to determine the laying out of the trigs. Lay out the trigs accordingly. Repeat for each of the other tracks. This gives a basic semi-random structure, now the challenge is to edit the sounds/pitches to something musical :sweat:

4 Likes

Remind me not to party with you

3 Likes

Another thought…sorry :confused:

I’ve heard a couple ‘noobs’ suggest they may not have much to contribute, but even basic stuff can be brand new, valuable info to someone. I know there have been a few times I’ve wanted to know some basic stuff and got a lot of suggestions for how to do an even more complex version of the thing I didn’t understand in the first place :slight_smile:

Always something new and exciting to learn about this box and I doubt the veteran/experts would be too fussed about more intermediate ‘discoveries.’ It is an unusually gracious atmosphere here, filled with kind folks who seem happy enough to suffer yet another dumb beginner question from folks like myself!
Pretty stoked for this year long master class!

3 Likes

I’d prefer a random thing with random arp on recorders notes, midi loopback, 4 radios / tv plugged in the 4 inputs. :wink:

2 Likes

I rest my case :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Another: “Childhood revisited”

Your earliest favourite TV show as a little kid, find an episode on youtube or from video, dvd or wherever, you make a track using only the theme tune and any dialog or sound fx from it.

5 Likes

:joy:

5 Likes

Love this idea. Might generate a lot of inspiring ideas for the community. Interested to participate too.

Now two questions and I hope it’s not been asked/answered already …

1. Is it okay to do the final recording of an audio-demo using tape, DAW, digital recording device, etc., if nothing else is done than the recording itself?
  2. How long should audio-demo samples be? I think 10 or more minutes of “creative noodling” could be a tad too long. How about a limitation to keep it about 1 to 2 minutes for demonstrating the scientific findings?
2 Likes
3 Likes

nostalgie :upside_down_face:

3 Likes
  1. Yes that is ok, although you can also use the track recorder on the OT provided the length will fit

The advantage of this being that if you end up with a bunch of stuff that could be used for further OT mangling, or a compilation/mashup/remix.
2. I think it should be as long/short as you see fit, I tend to often favour shorter 2-3 min pieces myself for most of this kind of thing if needs be, but if the piece needs to be longer then fine.

6 Likes