OT + QuNexus + Soft UHM Midi = Problem

Hi!
Not sure if broken or stupid, i´m really in a bad loop and stuck for days now…
Ok, i got the Sevilla Soft Midi UHM
and the QuNexus

Here is what i want:

Qu sends notes via usb to UHM
UHM sends notes to OT Seq
OT sends MIDI to whatever external

To get this working i´m using my Computer with Ableton running, RME UCX as MIDI Interface and MidiOX to see what’s actually going on.

OT settings check:

In my testsetup i can easily trigger a VST Instrument from OT in Keyboard-Mode on CH1.
In the next step I set my AUTO Ch to 16 and played a sequence in Ableton out to the OT - i can record the notes, route them out again and the VST is playing.

Now the Qu:

Hooked up directly via USB to Ableton everything works fine, as expected.
Hooked up to the UHM, sending Midi to UCX, Ableton is responding as well.

BUT if i take this same cable and plug it in to OT NOTHING HAPPENS!

Results:
Abletons Midi Out can ping the OT
UHMs Midi Out can ping Ableton
UHMs Midi Out can not ping the OT

It sucks…

I made a record of the incoming Midi in MidiOX

Midi from Qunexus via UHM looks like:

Midi from Ableton (rooted back in) looks like:

CAN ANYONE HELP ME?

Edit: QuNexus MIDI Ch is set to 16 of course

Update 1.1

I now noticed the same behaviour with my LaunchControlXL and CALCs mappings running.
LCXL --> UHM --> Ableton (without touching signal) --> Midi Out --> OT - works
LCXL --> UHM --> OT - nope

So, there must be an issue with the datatype on the UHM.
What is it what Ableton or the UCX does that makes the midistream usable? :confused:

Update 1.2

Next testdrive:
Qu --> UHM --> RYTM - works
Qu --> UHM --> OT - nope
Qu --> UHM --> RYTM --> THRU --> OT - works

w t f ?

I just can state that the i connect midi I connect midi works fine in regards USB midi and DIN midi. But the i connect midi has USB midi controller function where you directly can connect midi controllers without the computer. And it has extensive midi routing and midi filtering capabilities.

Did you try with a powerd USB hub?

Hi! Thats exactly what i bought the UHM for. My laptop is only involved for testing.
The iConnect (at least the current model) is not capable of “hosting” USB-devices.
There are tools such as the Kenton USB-Host, but i wanted to hook up Qu and LCXL at the same same time.UHM officially can host up to four devices.
(not that i got this working yet…bought another USB 2.0 hub and controller was not recognized anymore.:confounded: )
:slight_smile:

To answer your question: There is no need for a HUB in the simple case right now as the UHM has a second (no data) 5V USB (type B) input to power up the connected unit. It came with a 1.000mA socket but i used a stronger one, even if the QuNexus requires less.

Now that i got my setup working with this strange routing i am wondering what’s wrong with the “MIDI IN” jack on my OT.
I think the signal simply gets amplified when running through the UCX or the RYTM thru, which would mean that either the OTs input needs higher voltage to recognize the incoming signal or the UHMs output is just to weak.

Time for a voltmeter.

Dont you have a second MIDI DIN device which can send start /stop =? If you slave the OT to the device, and it reacts to start stop its most probably ok from the DIN port.

You´re right.
OT set to receive transport and clock from ext. works just fine.

1 Like

Still no progress.
Any ideas why OT won´t recognize the MIDI directly from the Midihostbox?
It works if routed thru RYTM or computer…
Maybe a voltage issue? Do transport messages require less power?
Pure Magic?

I merged the RYTMs MIDI outputs to get the machines in Sync without midifeedback. This way OT can have the “amplified” MIDI from my Launchcontrol and the Clock from RYTM.
feels stupid…