OT program change OB-6 *SOLVED*

Apologize if this has been covered.

I’m building my template and I have everything working great, I can sequence my minimoog and my ob-6., got the Keystep working with everything I can’t however program change the OB-6. What am I missing? OB-6 is receiving note data, param receive is set to CC ( nr doesn’t seem to work either) anyone got this dialed in?

There are two ways to send Program Change messages from the OT’s sequencer:

• automatically, whenever the OT’s pattern changes, or
  • only when the OT changes to a pattern linked to a new Part.

You should also be able to do it by hand when turning the data knob in the NOTE SETUP page.

Which method do you want to use?

I want to be able to set it up on the midi track here, so I don’t have to go to the synth, Want full OT control. Ob-6 is on channel 3 it is receiving notes, just to program changes

That’s why I asked you the following:

1 Like

ah, hmm, probably pattern change, tho im assuming I could make adjustments in parts too with this option that would stick, if that makes sense?

If you want the OT to change the OB-6’s program each time the OT changes pattern, then do the following:

In the OB-6’s Global settings:

• set the MIDI channel number

In the OT’s PROJECT > MIDI > SYNC menu:

• activate PROG CH SEND and set the Channel control underneath it to match the MIDI channel number of the OB-6.

The OT will now send its pattern number to be the OB-6’s program number (pattern A01 is program 1 etc). This means that you would have to organize your programs in the OB-6 very carefully.

Basically, yes.

In the MIDI NOTE SETUP page that you showed, set CHAN to be the MIDI channel number of the OB-6 and set PROG to be the program number that you want on the OB-6.

These settings are stored in the Part that is associated with the OT’s pattern, so you need to save the Part.

Now when you make the OT change pattern to a pattern that is associated with a different Part, the Program Change message will be sent. This is more flexible than the first method, but you have to remember to set up and save the appropriate Part with each pattern. There are only 4 Parts to share between the 16 patterns in a bank on the OT.

1 Like

Amazing, thank you, I can get the program to change for the OT but not the bank

1 Like

The Bank Select function on the Octatrack will not work with the OB-6 because of a long-standing bug on the OT.

You can read about that and how to workaround it on this topic:

Ah thank you. The most valuable information is always what the thing can’t do, you can lose hours chasing the wrong stuff. Much appreciated Peter.

I have no idea how to do this!! haha.

“The OT only uses CC 0 for bank changes. To get bank changes that require CC 32 (probably about half the gear out there?), you have to set a Midi Control for CC 32, move that knob the right bank, then send the Program Change again by swapping. I have a ticket in to Elektron about this. I’d suggest putting one in as well.”

I’m guessing I go into the midi control section ( where you would adjust parameters on the synth) and dedicate a CC message to 32 which would then change the bank, but how do you apply that to the midi note set up page?

Set BANK to ‘OFF’ in the MIDI NOTE SETUP page: it serves no useful purpose with the OB-6.

Instead, use the CTRL1 SETUP page on the OT’s MIDI sequencer track to specify CC 32 on one of the knobs and then use the corresponding knob on the CTRL 1 MAIN page to set the Bank number that you want (in the range 0 to 9).

I know you hate to read manuals but it will be useful if you read the instructions in the MIDI SEQUENCER chapter of the OT’s manual.

If you find the workaround too complicated then you could consider simply putting all your favourite OB-6 programs in one bank.

4 Likes

I’m reading!!!

2 Likes

Dude, I figured it out!!!

2 Likes

What’d you do?

1 Like

All the business above and can now change banks and programs on the ob-6 from the OT

3 Likes

As a side note, you have a great setup and can’t wait for you to post some of your tunes once you’re up and running.

1 Like

Thanks, yeah, took a awhile to figure it all out, but its a lot of fun!

1 Like

Curious if anyone knows the program change cc for the ob so I can do it all from CTRL Setup, I can’t find it in the OB-6 manual

Program Change is Program Change. There is no “CC”.

2 Likes

Yeah, that hurts my feeling Peter. And boy have I upset people all over the internet asking that question which almost hurt my feelings as much. :slight_smile: