OT monitoring input sounds fine, but recorded sample is horribly distorted

Hey, I have an OT MK2 since a couple of days and I’m having a hard time figuring out what I’m doing wrong.

I’m trying to record a kickdrum from my Analog Rytm (processed by some external audio processors). The kickdrum goes to input A and my T1 is setup to record input A. DIR is on 100, and when I monitor the kickdrum through the OT it sounds fine (allthough I only hear it from the left speaker as I don’t know how to set the inputs to a mono signal but that’s a different question).

So, input A is monitoring, the kickdrum on the Analog Rytm is playing, DIR is 100. Sounds like I expected it to sound. Now I record the kickdrum to T1. Works. But when I play the recorded sample (via the sequencer), it sounds extremely distorted. Amp levels for the tracks are all on default, I don’t know what I’m doing wrong. Does anyone have any idea what might be the cause of this?

Oh I’m using a similar setup as taught in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkkWM0se9eY

Welcome to the forum!

Did you check recording volume in REC Setup (1 or 2)?

1 Like

Thanks Pete!

On REC2, everything is set to default, but… I didn’t know REC2 settings were ‘general’ recording settings. I thought REC1 settings were settings to set REC1 and REC2 settings were settings to record via REC2 :slight_smile: It’s a bit hard figuring out the way this machine works hah, but that’s also why it’s so much fun I guess.

Check the signal in the audio editor. If the waveform exceeds the ceiling, it´s clipped.

How does it look there?

4 Likes

I honestly don’t know what I did (if I did anything at all) to fix this, because when I turned on the machine the next day and recorded the same kickdrum the same way I did that night, all was fine and it recorded just the way it sounded when monitoring. Preeeetty strange but ok.

1 Like