OT + MKS-70 experiments

I miss those old sorts of patch sheets. Keyboard magazine always ran a couple of them every month. I think they taught me a lot about synthesis! They also taught me about synths I didn’t own, as I could see an instrument’s parameters listed. There was always a sense of excitement with the arrival of each issue, hoping they’d have a patch for a synth I owned.

Occasionally, the magazines went even further, with actual software code for the reader to copy down. Sometimes it would be months before any erroneous line of code my be corrected in a follow-up issue! I was never clever or patient enough to try that stuff.

2 Likes

808 samples + MKS70. Working out some chord progressions.
Chords like these I really enjoy playing and listening to, but rarely find the drive to develop the tracks further, as additional elements just ends up getting in the way.

Anyway, chords played live and some envelope release and filter tweaks on the DT-800 done live (can’t p-lock or send simple CC automation!)
Triads with a diminished third an octave up. Using 1 timbre, in full 12 voice mode.

Also, made a special soundcloud account for embedding these experiments.

7 Likes

Lovely stuff.

1 Like

Thanks!

My love for the Ensoniqs is closely knit to this kind of sound. That deep Brikha/Transmat style, subtle but loose modulation. MKS-70’s various envelope modulation options are ideal for such sounds.
Basically the same kinda stuff I made with my SQ-80 decades ago.

1 Like

To encourage you to develop it further: I really enjoyed that sketch :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is ace, reminds me of those 80s computer magazines that used to print BASIC programmes and you’d sit there and type the entire thing in for hours just to have your ZX Spectrum say hello or something!

3 Likes

Yea! Exactly!

I had a really nice 70 and it’s a lovely synth, kind of regret selling mine. Just a classy classic.

1 Like

Great points here. There are some killer basses in this thing. A bit of chorus is an amazing thing on them too.

2 Likes

Pads with a dual-tone patch and a bit of unison sounds fantastic too. Allows for a voice of low end, mids, top end, and noise, all detuned for dual mode and detuned again for unison. Plus you’ve got four envelopes to work with, separate LFOs, and chorus settings at that point. Only three notes though haha. Not that anything that thick needs more.

1 Like

@Scot_Solida is the new owner :smiley:

1 Like

Getting off topic but likely the issue with your Space pedal is just the cable between the I/O board and DSP board needs to be re-seated. 5 minute fix, super common.

1 Like

Thanks @th0mas - know of a guide for an electronics dunce?
This issue hasn’t repeated since I stopped using a power brick and switched back to the Eventide PSU - it’s still worth a look though!

If I remember correctly it was as simple as unscrewing the screws on the bottom holding the case together and carefully wiggling the gray cable connecting the two boards together. If it’s not happening j wouldn’t bother taking it apart until it starts again.

1 Like