OT midi with LXR trouble

This was in another thread that seems to have gone dead and yes Ive tried the main LXR thread, but no responses to troubleshoot. :man_shrugging:

Basically midi notes only trigger intermittently when sending note trigs to the LXR. In the video below you can see i have the lxr track set to any, rx all, OT sends notes, but only one note plays each pass even when i add trigs. Pls ignore chicken legs. Hoping someone can help. I did make a ticket with Erica but hoping a fellow naut mightve already run into and fixed the issue. Cheers!
Edit: new video. hope it works. edit for cheekiness.

I bet this is to do with the note off as velocity zero issue - the OT sends note off as note with zero velocity, which is a valid way to send a note off but unfortunately not all gear supports it, but it is part of the official midi spec. Check with LXR to see if this is the case.

1 Like

Or maybe the notes sent by the OT are too long ? I’d try with very shorty notes.

1 Like

I did play with the note length to no avail.

Interesting. I wasn’t aware of this behavior from the OT. I’m a bit of a midi novice, so sorry if this seems obvious, but if I’m sending a sequence of 16 trig notes in succession, where is the “off” note being applied? I guess I’m just not sure how this would prevent successive note trigs from sending a 16 step run of trigs for a whole pattern before another one does.

IME that is textbook demonstration that this is the issue, I had almost the exact behaviour with other gear in the past - some notes are recognised as note off by the receiving device, others are not.

The reason the OT handles note off this way is I believe to save a few bits and therefore keep the very good timing that it is known for. But it is adherent to the midi spec, so in theory all manufacturers of midi equipped gear should support this behaviour, although some don’t, even though technically they should.

1 Like

Interesting indeed. Curious to see what Erica says about this issue. Very much appreciate the insight.

1 Like

More about velocity zero here:

1 Like

I edited this here post because the previous version was no longer relevant.

1 Like

Fair critique. Though I had asked several questions in that thread and got no response from anyone. I’ll edit for less said cheek.

Ace use of the LXR btw. :+1:

Does this happen if you don’t send clock?

I can’t see the video, is this the LXR 1 or 2? There was a well known problem with the LXR1 where it would get overwhelmed by midi clock and miss midi events, which would also go missing from the midi thru as well. I would have hoped this would have been fixed in the LXR2 but…

1 Like

It’s actually an LXR-02. I haven’t tried not sending clock but if this is the case then it’s sort of useless for me in my live rig. I’m going to assume it’s been fixed as there is an extensive thread of people using it with other devices. Appreciate the insight. I’ll give the clock thing a whack when I get home, but will not be happy if this is the case.

Ok. So tested this with the DN and it works just fine. @darenager you may be on to something with the note off behavior if the DN differs in this way. Haven’t heard from Erica yet.

Yes the DN sends note off messages in the other manner - I think if you send the note from OT into DN then from thru on DN into the LXR it might solve the issue.

1 Like

I appreciate that :0) And I appreciate the edit! As to my own unhelpfulness it’s a double edged sword. First, all my live rig is attached to the board with velcro. Aside from the EC4 I can’t remove anything easily and that’s what it’d take to change up cable config. Secondly I’m a midi rookie and probably also a massive dunce so at the very least I’d have confused myself and possibly you too by merely attempting. Please forgive!

1 Like

Hey FreddyUnreal,

I’m fighting very hard depressions and tried to do a digital detox, I deleted my user here.
Does not work. Went to a doc. :roll_eyes:

My polyend tracker and akai force sequences lxr-02 very very well.

I too think on the octatrack side it’s related to note off issue.

I somewhere posted here a retrokit rk-002 program that you could put between octatrack and lxr-02, but 1) i can’t find it, my google foo is lost and 2) i can’t find my cable too, so I can’t verify.
I’m sorry.

But:
Perhaps: Octatrack Midi out -> daw -> lxr perhaps?

edit: found the retrokit program: Octatrack MKII midi notes sticking in OP-1 and Organelle - #100 by gerkinear

1 Like

No qualms here. I too am a bit of a midi novice as I usually jus send clock and mess with the instrument on its own UI. Coming across this issue has sort of made me dive back into routing so it’s been frustrating but eye opening with this note off stuff and internal routing sections I keep forgetting about. I appreciate the response and time. Cheers!

Sorry to hear you’re going through that, but am glad you’re taking the time to be proactive about it. I’ve been down the dark road many a time and seeking help is the hardest part, so cheers to that!

I appreciate the advice and retrokit script as well. I’ve relegated myself to just sequencing it from the DN as it’s already part of my setup. Not ideal as my OT is the brain/mixer, but allows me to feel like i can get all I wanted out of the LXR. Avoiding midi through DAW as I got frustrated one day (3 years ago being a baby about it tbh :sweat_smile:) with the latency and never really went back ITB. Thanks again for the insight and I wish you well with your treatment!

1 Like