OT MIDI Sequencer Woes

Hello everyone,

Yet another question about the OT midi sequencer, but I’ve been looking for answers here and in the manual for a while, and can’t find any.

I am using the OT to sequence my eurorack via an Intellijel MIDI 1U. It works okay, but if I want to send the same notes consecutively, subsequent notes don’t play. I have to change the note before it will play again. This occurs in both step and chromatic mode. I would attach a video but elektronauts is not letting me because I’m a new user.

Any ideas? It may be the intellijel midi 1U that’s causing this, so if I can’t find answers here I’ll try the intellijel forum.

Cheers!

Do you mean to say the same note, when pressed a second time, doesn’t trigger a gate?

Check possible note length issues: I would first look to see if your Arp is on and/or what the note length setting is.

The Octatrack does set note on with velocity 0 messages instead of note off messages. This is valid from a MIDI standard perspective, but not all devices recognize it correctly. Maybe the Intellijel MIDI 1U is one of them …

And before you’ll ask: no, this behavior of the OT cannot be changed.

A workaround is to use an external midi processor in between which translates note on with velocity 0 into proper note off messages.

6 Likes

Yeah but only if it’s the same as previous note, if it’s a different note it works perfectly.

Arps mode set to off, no difference. Length doesn’t seem to change anything. But weirdly, when I change NOT2-4, all the triggers play! I am stumped. Thanks for your help though!

That’s alright hopefully intellijel can do something about it if needs be

Someone on the intellijel forum says the MIDI 1U does recognise Note On Velocity 0 as MIDI Note Off, which is good to hear. Any ideas?

Other ideas like the ones suggested by @xidnpnlss? Have you already tried to reduce the note length? Just make it very short for testing.

1 Like

is this how it (the MIDI) works only on the Octatrack or is the case for all elektron machines??

I don’t have any eurorack gear, but the DT MIDI sequencer will trigger the same note repeatedly on my external synths if programmed to.

Note length doesn’t seem to make a difference unfortunately

The indicator on the octatrack is telling me that there is midi data being sent out whenever I press a key, so does that suggest that the problem is the midi 1U not being about to recognise it for some reason?