OT MIDI sequencer learning curve (a subjective question)

Hello,

I bought a Digitakt a few months ago and it took me a while to get the time and motivation to learn how to use it. At this point, I realise that I’m mostly using the DT for external MIDI sequencing (w. a Nord Drum 3 & synths) and song mode. From then, I also need an other device to add and process longer field recordings (currently I’m using an OP-1f for that task). I know I could do both and much more with only an Octatrack.

Now I’m wondering : How hard would it be to switch from the MIDI sequencer/song mode of the DT to the MIDI sequencer/song mode of the OT ?

What attracts me the most with the OT is the possibility of having a customised all-in-one solution that makes you constantly think about new musical ideas. And I also have a sweet spot for crossfaders (and electroacoustic music). But I do fear the learning curve a little…

I wouldn’t worry about the learning curve, the OT midi sequencer is very similar - but the DT has a better MiDI sequencer in most regards. Faster to operate and handles polyphony better. It’s the other aspects of the OT that are more complex.

2 Likes

OT midi sequencer essentially the same as the DT. But it has 3 LFOs per track, the insane arp, and more assignable CCs…
Get involved.

5 Likes

…setting up…creating ur very own default project…

takes always some xtra time upfront…on pretty much all gear that has more to offer than a one trick pony…

but once done…wow…all ur creativity starts to shine, show and work out for real…

so don’t shy back…get ur hands and mind dirty for a little while, but then ur able to harvest all the advantages…

since ot is the exact opposite of a one trick pony, more like an all trick and beyond full grown black stallion, some confusion at first is guaranteed…but it’s totally worth it…

1 Like

In regards to song mode on the Digitakt compared to the arranger on the Octatrack, I personally was overwhelmed. They are very different. This thread helped shine some light on the creative possibilities of the arranger:

1 Like

You will be fine having both devices. I feel that I run out of sample tracks veery fast on the OT with some thru machines and a master. I got the DT to offload all of the percussion and mono sample playback.

Don’t be scared of the learning curve on the OT, just take one step at a time and you’ll be fine !

not to hijack the thread but… totaaaaally agree with this… only problem is everytime i go through this process i learn something new and a new idea emerges based on a better understanding of the machines capabilities…

so each setup gets a show or two and then a new default needs to be built to accomodate another approach.

:man_shrugging: not complaining ha ha

1 Like

Thanks @ everyone for the helpful replies. I will keep on thinking about it and not rush any decision.
It would ineed be nice to master something as flexible as the Octotrack someday
There’s also the option of adding something like a 1010 Lemondrop for processing field recordings.