OT Midi Arpeggiator: does it swing

just wondering if Global Swing has any effect on the OT Midi track arpeggiator

i read the manual although the information isn’t referred to directly.

Swing is in the audio section and is applied there so no I really don’t think so, could be wrong but no.

You could always offset notes to create swing.

oh! what a surprise, i thought swing was applied to midi tracks also.

as regards offset parameter of the arp, isn’t that for pitch rather than timing?

Swing is not in the audio section

You can access it in grid mode by pressing function+edit

And yes…it works on midi

the arp though? i have no idea

2 Likes

actually if i remember correctly, it doesn’t …

or maybe that is the monomachine arp.

The results from the lab came back negative for arp swing…

It seems however we have independant swing amounts for each track including midi tracks, and also each their own customizable swing trig patterns…

Oh well, I really wanted to answer with “I’ve got an OT that samples, I’ve got an arp that swings”… :grin:

1 Like

The OT and A4 don’t swing on the Arp … having said that, what should they do when the subdivision on timing isn’t anything like 16ths, the arps can even serve up very unusual and very fast timings … what about the underlying micro-timing and the user programmable swing steps ? … these machines are too complicated for their own good … for sure, a swinging 16ths basic ARP mode would be fun and welcome

So what’s the most sophisticated arpeggiator out in gear land which does swing (that’s not just working on straight 16ths) ?

It can’t do any harm to ask for a FR on these boxes to have a new extra ARP timing subdivision which correlates to 1/16ths but also looks at the track/global swing value

4 Likes

many cheers for trying out the OT arp swing possibility.

i only know of one hardware synth that swings on the arpeggiator,
although forgotten the model and the maker.

it’s interesting to also note how the Machinedrum will only have three global swing settings available when synced to midi clock.

the Korg Prophecy doesn’t offer swing in the arpeggiator settings…

ableton’s software arpeggiator offers only 3 preset swing settings,
so when using software synths, other than Zebra which does in fact offer user-customisable arp swing, i am trying out a free demo version of a software arppegiator that swings: B-Step “shuffle / swing with optional volume dumping”.

Not sure if it is going to be great or not, although i think it is worthwhile exploring as the sound of a swung arpeggio is sometimes very cool.

Although really a 16th arpeggio isn’t going to want much swing setting at all, in order to not sound overly bouncy/angular.

1 Like

99% sure my akai advance has swing on the arp

100% sure midi swing doesn’t swing. :slight_smile:

1 Like

OP1 can swing the arp.

1 Like

The Sub 37 has swing on the arp.

2 Likes

Or it could be that I’m remembering the LFOs that swing. Pretty unique feature there.

1 Like

okay cool idea

maybe LFO’s on the OT could achieve this

use a square LFO to reset the start point then use a sine wave LFO set to Trig and then somehow adjust placement of timing with that

then apply that to an Arpeggio somehow

perhaps this is wishful thinking lol.

squarp pyramid too

1 Like

the way the Octatrack Arpeggiator swings is by setting multi-trig offset value in the Arpeggiator Designer …

from the manual, p115:
By pressing several Trig keys simultaneously it is possible to adjust the note offset values of more than one arpeggiator step at a time.

Essentially this is swing. Although with more articulation, and bi-directional - backwards or forwards in time.

i thought that was pitch offset…

3 Likes

That’s a pitch offset.

2 Likes

true. cheers … there is also a shuffle mode although that is for playing one set of notes in one octave in a random order, then after complete, playing the next set of notes in the second octave.

although sounds like it would be for the swing.

out of interest, if the Octatrack sequenced or arpeggiated an external synth, made a two bar recording to Flex, would it be relatively easy to offset the desired swing amount to 8ths or 16ths working directly with the audio file?

It is actually…

Seems doable with slices and swing/microtiming, but it may be easier to sequence it with swing with midi tracks.

1 Like