OT limitations, is it worth it in 2020

OT only feels outdated when you compare to model samples or digitakt - things like conditional triggers, fills and ctrl all are big misses when you’re using this stuff together.

I love the OT. I don’t think it’s outdate in itself. There is an opportunity, however, to make a successor without some of the more arcane UI elements that would make features like more usable.

even just small recent things that I’ve come to heavily rely on such as trig preview. Is this even possible in the other boxes or just digis?

don’t underestimate my president

5 Likes

Akaik just Digis with last update, maybe a chance to have it on others (probably models first?)

1 Like

There are no conditional trigs on OT possible?

There are. Sub menu, one by one.

3 Likes

Honestly I feel the exact opposite, I like what they have done with the OS updates but I always feel like the Elektron samplers become more stripped down and retro with each new product. I am longing for a return to more ambitious and complex devices. I do want to see a full elektron DAW in a box.

3 Likes

OT have TRC and FILL, crossfader is much more subtle and/or powerful than CTR ALL : controls up to 250 parameters with min/max.

8 Likes

I think this is important. If you are making tracks with what you have, maybe just keep making tracks. For me the learning process with the OT took a long time. I’m actually still learning new things. It may not take as long for you, but…That’s a lot of tracks, and the more you make the better you get at it. Getting an OT could possibly take from the creative side. Just a thought.

3 Likes

Well it’s use case is different. CTRL ALL is a convenience feature for stacked sound design in a way that the OT does not lend itself too.

Pretty sage advice. Complete your project before changing your tools :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I’ve noticed that my two mk1s have different surface structure - the new one’s paint is a lot smoother than the old one.

Same shitty music coming out from both of them, though :ecstatic:

6 Likes

Limitations are what empowers art imo. You just gotta decide what limitations are acceptable to keep you happy. I’ve never found having every option I want on a PC very inspiring. Yes, a computer is always more capable, but that doesn’t always translate to better.

1 Like

This is most definitely the energy! Lol

It was pretty crazy for me, learning the OT, because I had a plan of how I was going to use it…But, the process of learning brought me to another workflow that had very little to do with what I intended. The OT guided my intentions…and that’s the thing about it, in order to learn it properly, you have to let it take you to where it thinks you should be. Not saying the OT is some sort of AI, more like a puzzle that has many ways of being put together.
And also, for me, I have to use a Elektron instrument by itself for at least a couple months to really get fully familiar with it. The OT was almost 2 years… The rewards are stellar tho. I feel for the folk who buy a A4, Rytm, OT all in one go. Just the thought of that makes me sweat :joy:

3 Likes

I should add that this is a V-shaped journey for most people. First you are doing your thing, then you have to do the OT’s thing, then you make the OT do your thing. But it takes a while.

2 Likes

Add somewhere “why is this track not making sound!!???” :joy:

2 Likes

Not sure if I got to that part of the V yet.

I think your V looks like √, that’s because without noticing you have gone beyond and are reaching new heights :slight_smile:

1 Like

My V is an L but doing the OT’s thing is a great place to be!

2 Likes

And why does it work after a reboot? I guess I’ll never know.

2 Likes