OT limitations, is it worth it in 2020

Knowledge dropped!

2 Likes

it’s funny to me how limitation is such a dirty word. have people not heard the phrase “limitations breed creativity?”

you want no limitations? get a piece of sheet music and start writing. real exciting, isn’t it?

“what are the limitations of this guitar?”
“well unfortunately it only has six voices of polyphony and doesn’t come with any LFOs or filters and the envelope is fixed with no adjustable ADSR settings. thankfully it’s pretty velocity sensitive though.”

8 Likes

actually i stand corrected the tone knob is a LPF

unfortunately it’s not modulatable and doesn’t have any resonance. i think i’ll pass.

1 Like

I think more to the point you don’t need infinite possibilities to make good music. Photek made this with a couple of emu ultras, an ancient version of Cubase and an old soundcraft.

8 Likes

One emu ultra gives near infinite possibilities, no?

2 Likes

Only in the same way you could argue a piece of paper has infinite possibilities.

H didn’t need to use infinite possibilities to make that track though. He just had a good idea and made good use of a few simple functions.

3 Likes

that’s deeper than space nine!

I think ive mentioned this about a million times…this will be one million and one…

this…

was made by this…

it has so few options. its a piece of shit. but in the right hands, with innovative minds…

12 Likes

I think sampler usually don’t maintain the same value of a synth-

We will know in 10 years time if I was wrong, but I don’t think the OT will get a higher value when discontinued.

In the case of Machinedrum and MnM, they got so much second hand value after Autechre announced that they were using heavily these 2 machines in one album and they released for free some sysex to use with these machines

I totally disagree.
It can have 6x2 voices, a vibrato, tone as you said, pick for attack and palm mute for decay / release, pitch envelope per voice with bends… :pl:

2 Likes

… and don’t forget about all the builtin drum sounds … :smiley:

2 Likes

Yes. DAWs were really obscure those days so most electronic music was mixed on actual analog boards. I enjoy this sound very much. If Elektron would get the idea of installing dsub output in their upcoming sampler i would be all over it. Seems like a nobrainer for external mixing/hardware integration.

1 Like

I once listened to this very song when I had the flu. It was I believe in 2000. It made me feel so bad that I can remember the exact feeling even today.

4 Likes

That’s a short one :slight_smile:

I love it!

1 Like

It was already known that autechre used them long long before they were discontinued. And you could still buy a MnM and MD non UW for about 500-600 euros secondhand for years.
They went up in second hand price after they were discontinued, also quite some time before autechre released the sysex files

2 Likes

SP-303, Sp-1200, ASR-10s (among others) are increasing in value.

I think the OT has potential. Depends on the successor (no silver box successors yet)

2 Likes

I think that the OT is a niche product this is why I think it could not keep a high value in the future.

This thread is really making me want an Octatrack

1 Like

Maybe. I think one could have and still call the silver boxes niche. And isn’t that what drives prices? Scarcity?

You see OT on stage everywhere, it’s on so many pics and mentioned in interviews and OT status of beeing ‘the complicated sampler box’ probaply helps, too. My feeling is it will rise in value eventually, I’ll have to get a second one before that happens^^

2 Likes