OT, keystep, peak midi setup question

Hey guys. I’m looking to play my peak via the OT to take advantage of live recording in midi to the OT, playing peak live too and being able to play peak via OT midi notes to live loop the peak back into the OT and thus free up my hands from keystep to manipulate both peak and OT scenes for more fun.

Can I route this setup without a midi interface given the peak only has one midi in? Could keystep midi thru into OT work, with then midi ins and outs linking OT and peak?

Thanks

Keystep out > OT in
OT out > Peak

Example with default settings (new project)
Keystep channel 9* or 11** (Auto Channel)
Midi track channel 9*
Peack channel 9

*9 can be 9-16, because by default audio tracks channels (MIDI > CHANNELS), use channels 1-8.
If a midi track has same channel as an audio track, it can’t receive midi.
You can set audio tracks midi channels to off, use different channels, disable audio tracks midi control (MIDI > CONTROL).

**Auto channel controls active track. Default is 11.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. With that routing can I also play the peak freely from the keystep? As I assumed I’d need to send on keystep notes to peak via OT midi thru no?

No. Keystep notes can be played through OT’s midi out if you use channel 9, any track selected, or with Auto channel, with the right midi track selected.

Yes.

2 Likes

Well this is good news!

So if I want to play the peak and then live record in midi notes to the OT I just need to have the same midi channel so I can hear what I’m recording in as midi steps to the OT.

My idea is live i will play the peak myself but with a pattern change on OT I can switch over to the same saved melody now played on peak by OT midi notes which I programmed in earlier in my studio. With pickup track on OT I can then live loop in that melody from peak thus freeing up my hands to twiddle peak settling live or mess with OT settings

Sound workable? Thanks!

Yep. Caveats : OT doesn’t record midi notes as you play, especially chords + melody.

Ah you mean that I just can’t do both or that the OT doesn’t accept live recording in of midi? As the digitakt could do that.

4 notes max polyphony, same length for all notes of a step, no overlap (all notes stop when there is a new trig note.
You apparently have overlap with DT.

1 Like