OT Internal Mixer

Hello guys and girls :slight_smile:
Thinking of buying first Elektron product. (Octatrack)
I’ve got one drum machine (Acidlab Miami) and x0xb0x (303 clone).
I’m quite sure that OT powerfull sampling will be good add on to my gear but
also want to use it as mixer.
Can you tell me how good is the FX side of it ?

Has anyone experienced applying Octatrack fx on hole drum machine?
Does it work ?

Sharing any experience of yours would be very interesting for me :slight_smile:

Cheers

Some like the OT effects, some don’t, some think they are rubbish.

Keep in mind, if you use OT as mixer, even when you use the direct throughput it goes through ad conversion.

I think OT fx are fine and I think OT as a sort of hub for synths and drum machines is great.
The fx is very well tuned for the Octatrack environment.

With correct gainstaging, OT is transparent, the fx can let sources shine and OTs capabilities as a ‘hub’ are still unsurpassed imho.

4 Likes

Fx become really interesting once sequenced / modulated by lfos.

Good filters, compressor, I find delay and reverbs ok, not great.

5 Likes

Thanks guys! Its definitly a great machine. It sounds like i must test it and listen with my ears to make decision.

4 Likes

It won’t make them sound worse.
It might make them sound better.

1 Like

Yep it wont worse for sure. But in my case analog mixer will work better and treat sounds
individually. After buying mixer i’ll deifinitly buy OT.

Thanks

Also, you will want to search the forum for gain staging with the OT. This is very important. There are many stages of amplification, including the source. I feel gain staging could explain most people’s complaints About the OT sounds.

5 Likes

Gainstaging is crucial, yes. The default settings on a lot of the effects are not great either. The reverbs in particular require a bit of tweaking to bring out the best sound.

1 Like

Hell yes! On a TR-09 and also TR8-S. Eq and and compressor. Then a scene with filter distortion and reverb. Sounds amazing.

1 Like

Hah )) Sounds good! I got no one to borrow OT from. If u have recording of it i would love
to listen what it does to TRs :slight_smile:

Thanks for the tip! Searchin …

Here you go TR8-S treated in OT. All sounds mixed in OT.

More on my soundcloud

5 Likes

I am on a mission to record some songs entirely inside the Octatrack (expecting to record master out for final EQ etc in DAW). It’s a challenge for sure, but it’s a fun learning experience so far. 16-bit audio should be good enough, theoretically, that’s CD quality after all. I think it could be valuable practice in the fundamentals of mixing!

2 Likes

Maan this sounds good! Thank you so much for sharing !

P.S. Nice track.

1 Like