OT : First Steps

Static machine in slice mode. Slices modulated by fast cross fader or LFO, presents clicks.
Not present with Flex.

Flex is just better at keeping up with fast modulation.

So for the jungle stuff I like to do, I put my breaks on flex machines.
For synthy noises with tons of modulation, flex.

Long background ambients or small one shots , static is fine.

3 Likes

May the Flex be with you. :content:

1 Like

There is actually quite a lot of pedagogy regarding the education of chess specifically. Learning the Queen isn’t uncommon, but you can also start with opening moves or end game scenarios. People learn in different ways, a point I didn’t clearly make in my last post. My advice is aimed at me if I could do it all over again, like op was requesting.

Have you ever experienced clicks or delays with static tracks? I honestly don’t think I have. Maybe in the context of the music I am hearing the clicks as percussive transients or something.

Flex tracks can access the buffers, that’s the use case difference I know of. Obviously this changes how they can be used, but I don’t think it changes the audio quality or the relative degree of mangling to the extent that they should be avoided.

Yes I have. Thats why I made my comment.
The behaviour described in the manual is exactly what I experienced. Using flex machines instead is fine.

Obviously if one isnt doing fast modulations of slices, then there is probably no issue. So a lot of it depends on the type of music you make.

16th notes at 160+ bpm with fast modulations, yeah that will get you some static machine lag.

In short, play back of the static machines cant keep up with cross fader movements ( assigned to slice) at high tempos, small note divisions.

2 Likes

I see, that is way faster than I would ever go, so it’s good to know that can happen if I ever go that fast.

Let’s say Statics are pawns you have to move before moving the Flex Queen. :wink:

1 Like

Is there a manual as Merlin’s one for the A4?

I still sometimes overwrite patches accidently…

Way to go, IMO, is to take a subject, ie Parts, sampling or midi, and work on this (manual + forum + practice) until you really master it.
Then go to next subject.
At some point, you’ll be able to construct and deconstruct different workflows with these bricks.

Beware, though: be prepared to fail, to feel like you’ve broken something or end frustrated because you lost your work.
It’s the normal path, the way to learn this machine, that can be a bit punishing at times…

5 Likes

Plus with Static there’s less options in the AED menu to edit the sample. I like to always change the dB of a sample via the AED menu, so AMP is set at 0 instead of using Amp for gainstaging. By gainstaging my projects continually this way, recurring samples will more and more be automatically gained correct (if you save the changed Db level via the AED menu).

2 Likes

The big advantage of FLEX samples is that you can normalize them, IMO.
Helps getting coherent volume level.
Otherwise, I mainly use STATIC, leaving FLEX for sampling.

1 Like

@LyingDalai

Maybe this will be to long of a topic, but still curious to check: do you never have problems with normalized samples being wáy louder then the sound from external gear coming in from the A/B and C/D inputs? I always have my Thru tracks at +64 but still I have to bring samples down a lot to be on the same level? (Hence I never use normalize…)

Once normalized, I set the gain to 0dB, usually.

3 Likes

VOL at 0 corresponds to -12 db.
A normalized recording being at +12 db by default is too much, theoretically at 0db.

Could you please elaborate a bit, I don’t understand. Vol at 0 you mean Amp at 0? And then you’d want that to be -12db? Do you achieve that by normalizing and then hitting -3db (in AED) four times? (Sorry of I’m completely off lol. I also don’t have a DAW to pre-gain samples or anything…)

When you sample with the OT the GAIN setting of the sample (visible in AED) is automatically set to +12dB, because the OT automatically reduces the incoming signal by -12dB to have headroom.

If you normalize now a sample recorded on the OT you also need to manually set the GAIN in the sample setting back from +12dB to 0dB, otherwise it still gets boosted (the normalize functionality doesn’t change the GAIN setting automatically).

2 Likes

If you play a normalized sine wave with 0 db (ATTRIBUTES) it is near distortion with AMP VOL = +63.
It means it is played a 0 dbFS.
You can check distortion increasing ATTRIBUTES to 0.5 db.

Same situation with same normalized sample with +12 db ATTRIBUTES, and AMP VOL = 0.

Conclusion : setting AMP VOL = 0 lowers signal with - 12 db compared to +63.
Simple no? :pl:

Forget above Static / Flex +12 db.

Signal flow/gain staging diagram for Octatrack MKII

4 Likes

Is this something you would consider imperative to learning in the first month? It is very interesting to know this nuance. Thank you for letting me know.

1 Like

No, and this is precisely my point.
I wouldn’t bother with FLEX in the first month. Not going too deep in the options is something very important.
I have taught OT to a perfect newbie the last two months, and staying focused on the essential was important.

A good thing is to take notes and bookmark a printed manual.

3 Likes

Yes! Get it now :grin::grin:

1 Like

Very nice! I wonder what a proper syllabus by someone with a degree in education would be like.