OT Feature Requests Thread (active)

Is funny to read ppl saying that a re-pitch based time stretch algorithm will sound like crap.

Repitch is the “pristinest” one, specially on full mixes, is the only algorithm that keep intact the transients relations. The only counter side is the pitch (root note) change, anyway in many situations it will be better than keep the pitch (note) and trash the transients with a granular approach.

BTW, all the hard part is already implemented on the octatrack, the only needed is a simple rule of three to automatically change RATE + PTCH speed using sample Tempo and main Tempo.

1 Like

Yep - people have been re-pitch time-stretching using turntables and tape for decades - without any unpleasant artifacts :wink:

Yep - people have been re-pitch time-stretching using turntables and tape for decades - without any unpleasant artifacts ;-)[/quote]
Exactly!

BTW, I might be wrong but doesn’t “RATE” parameter offer such kind of re-pitch/re-time feature ?
OK, one can only use it to get one (or more) octave down, but it’s already something, isn’t it ?

I can’t seem to find a trick to record half speed, though.

Yes, exactly. Tinkering with making a custom MIDI controller has given me a taste of this perspective. I encourage others to attempt similar projects not only for that, but moreso because implementing your own ideas is liberating and may even lead to more ideas :slight_smile:

OK, maybe I will kick off a new topic - I would love to see more of both of those!

Exactly, but is not automatically tied to master tempo.
For example when loading a 120 BPM sample on a 125 BPM project, the sample s should automatically change it´s RATE-PITCH to adapt its speed to the master tempo.

the Rate parameter is what it is… in my humble opinion, it would be fantastic if it also went upwards, but no matter.

Either way, this request would in no way impact upon the Rate parameter, nor have any effect whatsoever on how the Rate parameter currently works.

This is more like … relating to the option “Turn Timestretching Off” … perhaps. It could be placed there as an option. “Use Re-Pitching to Re-Time”. As this request is not about timestretching a loop in a granular fashion whatsoever, it is just re-pitching the thing automagically to stay in time with the current OT bpm tempo.

Yes, this would mean that the Pitch knob would then be greyed out or whatever, as it would not work nor have any place.

It would also mean a varying pitch depending on the tempo. That would not be a problem for those who wanted to have the pristineness and retaining of transients that the re-pitch to retime option offers.

Some would say “well surely that would put the loop out of pitch with just about every other element unless they too were loop elements at the same original pitch and tempo as the currently re-timed loop”?

Sure. But who cares. It’s a tool, one possible option, but an option, may i say, that many would dearly love and value.

Oh and BTW, the Machinedrum’s drum synthesizer machines are almost all pitched to non A=440 contemporary tuning, and even if using my “Static LFO Tuning” trick to add more fine-tuning to the MD’s drum synths, they still don’t quite tune to regular tuning. That is totally okay by me, I accept and celebrate that fact. Just mentioning, is all.

In fact, a fabulous member of Elektron-Users or Elektronauts (cannot remember which) actually said that it is the magic of combining the tuned and non-tuned percussion elements with tuned harmonic elements that results in desirable groove flavours. So true. Also the pitch falloff changes the game too. But that is off-topic to the request. I’m blabbing on so shall go now ciao :smiley:

This may have been requested many times before but I would like to add this to the feature request list.

Currently the midi sequencer can only send 4 notes to an external synth. As there are 3 empty boxes in the second page of the note menu so its easy to add to the existing interface, can we please have at least one extra note? 5 notes sent to most arpegiators sound great to my ears but you just cant do that here.

ONE MORE NOTE PLEASE!!

If I remember right, doesn’t the arpeggiator process incoming MIDI notes for > 4 at a time? I mean, this is less than half the solution, but I just wanted to verify this, because if so there’s a workaround. High time I fired up my Octatrack again…

I don’t know if it’s been already posted, but there’s a function that I would LOVE to see implemented, and it really does seem pretty simple:

an extra AUDIO mode besides NORMAL/STUDIO, where the MUTE function works for both outputs (MAIN and CUE), and they also share the same LEVEL value.

this would allow to route any track instantly to another output (ie. external FX) while still beeing able to mute them independently of the output (like in studio mode) without hearing any changes in the volume.

and of course, the (in)famous post-fx mute option would be great :stuck_out_tongue:

Why don’t you just assign another midi track on the OT to the same midi channel? Then you get 8 note polyphony if you’d like. I realize it’s a little more work to edit and program. But you could do what you want with the current feature set with just a little more work on your part.

Honestly, whilst doable, this really isn’t a good idea for all number of reasons.

128 steps per pattern would be amazeballs.

• copy/paste/clear multiple TRIGS or a range of TRIGS at once.

• copy BANKS

• copy all PARTS at once from one BANK to another

• Micro Timing for SWING TRIGS in the TRACK TRIG EDIT to create custom grooves.(Groove Quantization!) by holding SWING TRIGS and nudging right or left

• Sample Editor: Slice samples by transients (or threshold if easier to implement) and if possible to implement create/copy custom Micro Timing SWING TRIGS groove (see above Groove Quantization) and/or regular TRIGS from that.

• in addition to OFF/NORMAL/BEAT the previous discussed "Re-Pitch" Mode which adjusts the sample playback speed in relation to master BPM by simple pitching instead of time stretching.

Thoughts: RATE could become DIR (direction) and PTCH could be used to pitch shift… of course then introducing again the artifacts from the timestreching/pitchshifting algorithm we want to avoid in the first place, but could be still useful for quick FX styled re-tuning.

• TRACK Mutes pre/post FX-send selectable in projects audio settings

please add parameter lock for program changes :slight_smile:

1 Like

I TOTALLY agree that, while the PickUp machine is a great tool, it would be great to add a machine more like a “delay style” looper, to incorporate/extend the heritage of the PCM42 and/or the EchoPlex Digital Pro

I like that the Delay Control mode, but only when (setup) Lock = 1, to use as a repeater.

I’d like Delay Control to allow more “dub-style” delay, especially since we already have a “tape mode”
…and by “dub”, I mean
[ul]
[li]leave delay output Vol and Feedback set[/li]
[li]throttle only the Send parameter INTO each Track (or Master) dealy.[/li]
[/ul]

I can do this with Scenes, but I’d like to do it with the Delay Control mode.
using Track Selectors (trigs 9-16) on the Delay Control mode.

AS PER P 84 of the OT manual:

When Lock is ON (1),
and Delay Control is not triggered
[ul]
[li]send is allowed
[/li]
[li]delay output is muted
[/li]
[/ul]
triggering the Delay Control (for track) will

[ul]
[li]send is killed
[/li]
[li]un-mute/play delay ouput
[/li]
[/ul]
…this is great for a traditional “beat-repeater”

By by contrast…

When Lock is OFF (O):
[ul]
[li]send is whatever it is
[/li]
[li]delay output is whatever it is
[/li]
[/ul]
triggering that track delay

[ul]
[li]sets delay output Vol to full
[/li]
[/ul]
…this seems only useful for “bringing up” echo effects that are already up.

I’d propose a 3rd style of Lock for the Freeze Delay
call it “DubSend”,

when Delay Control is not triggered
[ul]
[li]send is whatever it is (should be set minimal)[/li]
[li]everything else is where it is[/li]
[/ul]
when that Track has it’s Delay Control triggered:
[ul]
[li]delay Send goes to Full[/li]
[li]… Time is still set with (yellow) trigs 1-8[/li]
[/ul]

…just imagine “dub” mode button mashing for Delay Sends, combined with Scene cross-fader-ing to control Feedback, Filters, etc…

Thoughts ?

‘Scene C’

(apologies if this has already been suggested)

I would love to have ‘Scene C’ added to the crossfader at the central point. I can think of lots of uses for this and many times it would be nice to move through a scene before hitting another one.

Could be accessed by holding ‘Scene A’ + ‘Scene B’.

Thoughts?

1 Like

Please one more FX: A Fixed Filter Bank with 6 Bands, setup page controlls bands frequencys (hz/khz or intervalls), knobs noon = +/-0, cw = add, ccw = subtract

Bandpass filters? What bandwidth(s) would the filters have?