OT Feature Requests Thread (active)

Pretty tired here, not sure I understand what you’re saying or if you’re kidding… But if you’re serious, doesn’t OT already do this? I have loops sync to project tempo easy enough all the time. Your ‘not time stretching whatsoever’ thing kinda baffles me tho, so I dunno if you’re being sarcastic :wink:

Pretty tired here, not sure I understand what you’re saying or if you’re kidding… But if you’re serious, doesn’t OT already do this? I have loops sync to project tempo easy enough all the time. Your ‘not time stretching whatsoever’ thing kinda baffles me tho, so I dunno if you’re being sarcastic :wink: [/quote]
I think he is talking about a non granular timestretch algorithm based on playback speed, yeap, the simplest one and the OT doesn’t have it.
Asked thrillions times yet.

cheers for the clarity gbravetti, and yes, the OT does not have this option. The option to time stretch with no granular time stretching algorithm applied whatsoever.

it’s just a different sound, and it is (sometimes) very cool. very desirable. very simple. and asked for for a number of years now.

haha although even though this simple feature has been requested so many times, for so long now, it doesn’t mean the Elektron HQ must now bow to the demand of a pitch-based time adjustment option…

but really it would be so fricken nice.

so nice.

please.

If you want to trade the timestretch for really lo-fi sound quality, you can actually do this already. Turn the retrigger time to minimum and retriggers to infinite, and use an LFO on the start parameter.

no, i want to re-time.

i love the octatrack’s ability to time-stretch.

what i am saying here, and believe would be a totally fantastic thing, is that the ability to “re-time via re-pitching and thus avoid the need for any granulating algorithm whatsoever” would be really easy to implement.

and i believe a lot of OT users would love it.

I know this kind of seems too simple to really grasp a hold of what i am saying, as i am not saying it clearly enough.

Maybe how about this:

If a 2 bar loop is playing, and it’s natural BPM is 124bpm,

then to re-time it to say 104bpm, I (and many others) would LOVE LOVE LOVE the simple option of re-pitching to re-time it.

As in, an option on the Octatrack.

Yes, it is possible to “turn timestretching off”. That’s great but what i am saying here is I would like the option to have, as a re-timing option, the ability to say to the Octatrack: "Yes, keep this Loop synced to the current BPM of the Octatrack’s current tempo, but do not use the timestretching granulated algorithm. Instead, re-pitch the fucking bitch for me.

Yes, that’s exactly what I’m talking about. The trick I mentioned lets you do that. Caveats are that it sounds very lo-fi, like worse than an SK-1, and it only works on Flex machines.

That trick doesn’t do what is being asked for.

Yes and no.

It does do “re-pitching to re-time it”.

But it does use a “granulated algorithm”, it’s just not the default timestretching one.

Like I said, though, it sounds pretty crusty, so it has limited use.

Bump.
Elektron, please give us master-tempo-locked varispeed on static machines.
Please : )

I agree it would be great to have but I doubt it’s going to happen because this would mean allowing > 1 octave of transposition. For example playing a 50 BPM sample at 200 BPM is a full +2 octave transposition.

An octave up or down from any initial tempo would be acceptable for most purposes.

So what would it do to handle the case I mentioned?

there is absolutely no doubt it would sound dumb, stupid, ridiculous even, beyond say a 30 bpm change from the original loop’s bpm.

but that is a matter of taste for the Octatrack user, surely.

if a user would like more flexible options, just use the regular timestretching granular algorithm approach.

this is about quality, this is about getting various sounds that re-pitching to re-time achieves, it is an old house technique and techno technique.

won’t work well all the time but then again variety is the spice of life.

the main idea here is: it would be easy to implement (no algorithm no granularity, just a simple percentage calculation on the fly by the Octatrack to match the loop to the current tempo by re-pitching it and not using the algorithm approach whatsoever).

My point is that if you want to get it implemented, you ought to put yourself in the developers’ shoes and think of the tradeoffs, design decisions, and changes that have to be weighed/made. From a user perspective I agree that it would be really cool but you’ll have better luck if you try to meet them halfway.

I could seriously write an article about why this is almost definitely not going to happen, but I don’t think anyone wants to read that. It’s easy enough to suss out a lot of the potential issues if you examine the existing Octatrack voice architecture and consider the reasoning behind the design decisions. This request isn’t as low-hanging fruit as it may seem on first blush.

haha yes maybe not such low hanging fruit as at first it may appear.

i guess i thought it would be easy, as ableton offers a re-pitching option to re-time a loop, but of course the interface’s options as presented in a menu certainly do not reflect the underlying structure of the back-end programming so to speak.

Right, not only is the interface not necessarily consistent with what’s under the hood, but adding this ability might make the interface more confusing. I’m imagining that if this gets added, people will complain that you can pitch up more than one octave by syncing but you can’t do it with the actual pitch control, which would be confusing.

Of course, as it is now you can drop the pitch way lower than -1 octave using the rate control.

Always this. I take this standpoint with every suggestion, it’s far simpler to assume Elektron know what they’re doing and wonder why it is not as you would like. This outlook is easier to adopt when you create your own stuff. Ideas are easy …

I’d join that conversation, plus I think if you encourage thought/discussion it may make the forum i) more interesting and ii) less entitled … still doesn’t mean that any of it will happen, but it’s best to keep it realistic and modest

+1000

Sounds interesting…