OT Encoder Grease

I have searched the forum and couldn’t find an answer, hopefully I didn’t good job in my search!

I recently picked up a second hand OT Mk1 and repaired a skipping encoder - however while doing this I removed the grease from the encoder shaft. It left black smears on the paper towel I removed it with - I was ‘in the zone’ and regretted it straight after. Thankfully the repair went well but now the encoder in question turns less smoothly than the rest. Clearly it needs some sort of lubricant to match its smoother brethren.

My question is, what do I buy to replace this grease? I’ve never done anything like this before and don’t want to use something that will damage the plastics or metals.

2 Likes

Deoxit has a good line of products, they might have what ya need

1 Like

Hi! I got some Deoxit, the red stuff in a tiny tube. I wasn’t sure it was the right stuff though and didn’t want to mess up the OT.

I am indeed, and thanks! Will have a look now. :smiley:

I believe for encoders you want a non conductive lubricant, a high viscosity PAO damping grease is probably what is used, but you don’t want it too thick or it will get messy and stop working properly.

Edit: Nyogel 774H/774VH seems to be a popular (but pricey!) choice.

1 Like

That’s right, and I got it to be a contact cleaner now that you mention it! Glad I didn’t try it on the shaft haha.

Woah, that is pricey! As it’s just for this one potentiometer shaft, I think I’ll pass on that one. Thank you for clarifying what type of lubricant I need to look for. Hopefully by this time next week all the pots will be nice and smooth. :smiley:

I used a tiny amount of Deoxit FaderLube (the liquid that comes in a bottle or tube) when I cleaned the encoder on my s5000 back in 2016 and it felt just like new afterward. There was no grease in that one when I opened it, just a little bit of oil. IIRC depending on the type of encoder, using grease rather than oil can actually cause problems but I’ve only ever had to do that one so I don’t have much hands on experience.

1 Like

I’m not gonna lie, I have no idea what the difference is between oil and grease… All I know is the stuff that came off the OT MK1 encoder was black and now the cleaned potentiometer has less resistance than the rest.

I have the tiny Deoxit C100, this one:

And the Deoxit FaderLube is the green one I believe? Will add to the list and order soon. Thanks!

DeOxit F100L is the oil I used.

Contact cleaner (i.e. Deoxit D100): no lubrication, will strip the lubrication out of controls and make them feel bad and wear faster. Clears out dirt and oxidization pretty well, especially if you follow it up with canned air.

Control cleaner (i.e. DeOxit D5): contact cleaner + lubrication. Works fine for routine potentiometer cleaning, not necessarily good for encoders. Will mess up jacks and some kinds of switches because dust will stick to the oil they leave behind

Electronic oil (i.e. FaderLube): just the oil from contact cleaner. Using contact cleaner to clean pots and then manually relubricating them can work better than just using control cleaner if they’re really dirty. Theoretically a common off the shelf oil like 3-in-1 can have some resistance and make the potentiometer not work as well but I don’t know how true that is.

There are also electronic-safe greases but they don’t really spread around on their own so the best way to use them is to actually open up a fader and manually apply the grease to the inside of the cover, so the entire sliding part gets lubricated. I haven’t bothered to do that to anything yet.

Encoders are mechanically different from potentiometers as you know, so cleaning them isn’t really the same as pots. You’ve already done the hard part. When I did the s5000 encoder, after I cleaned it I put a little bit of FaderLube on a cotton swap and carefully wiped it onto the conductive plastic wheel and friction points. I didn’t drip it in or anything, just a very thin coat like what was there before I cleaned it.

EDIT: the DeOxit ubricant is pretty thin, like sewing machine oil, so the encoder still might not have the same feel as it did before you cleaned it. The one I did on the S5000 has strong detents but very little friction so the FaderLube was just right in that case. I haven’t used a MKII but the MKI Octatrack encoders have some resistance, so something a little thicker might actually work better.

1 Like