OT // Compressor

Hi Everyone,
I just started using track 8 as a master track. I’m loving it.
I have the compressor set on it all the time. My question is this:
In the manual is says the threshold is a knee threshold. I’ve never seen a compressor have the threshold COMBINED with the knee. Certainly lowering the threshold, well, lowers the threshold, but does the knee increase or is the knee always fixed? I guess it’d be stupid to have the knee continually increase as well. Anyone know for sure?

Also, do you guys get crazy amounts of noise when you start turning up the gain on the comp? I need to compensate for the db reduction, but it introduces so much noise for me!

Yeah, it’s a bit crazy. Mind, I’ve never tried compressing anything very quiet that would need a lot of gain, but generally I can only go to up 10 or maybe 15 before the noise becomes unmanageable. I think this ought to be recalibrated, as it stands it’s too crude to be really useful.

Yeah, same here. I don’t think I can pass 10 or 11.
:sob:

Knee in regards to a compressor is the degree of slope at which the threshold attenuates the input signal. The higher the Knee the softer the angle at which the threshold hits the input signal. Logically in regards to Elektron Compressor, the harder you hit the input signal the softer the angel of the threshold but Elektron like to do things a little different. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I was hoping you wouldn’t say that.
Are you sure that’s the case? I feel like that’s a terrible way to design a compressor. Why not just separate the knee from the threshold like a normal compressor? I was hoping the knee was fixed.

No I’m not sure, that’s why I added the Elektron way comment. To me Knee is so very subtle. I guess that the harder you hit the threshold the softer with compression is going to output but it’s going to be ever so subtle, only audio engineers under studio conditions might hear it. Your punters certainly won’t.

I’m thinking about adding a FMR RNC to the main output of the octatrack. it would free up the master track but would it also result in a better mix? I can have good results with software compressors, but the OT compressor is not always sounding very nice to me.

Hey all, first post on the new board!

The OT compressor settings were kind of mystery to me so now that I’ve found what works for me, I thought I’d share. Am I about to say something that will be argued down? Perhaps! However, my inspiration came from digging through some of the sample patterns that are part of the Octapack series.

So here’s what I do to make my kicks and snares sit hot in the mix. First turn down the track level to about 20%. Bring the attack down about halfway to say… 30, then increase the gain to suit. At this point you will realize that your hits are really starting to shine through the mix, effectively ducking the other channels. Work with the level and gain combo to get the free-standing, clear, hard hits you’re after. This technique is a key factor in my best beatdown tracks and I do not experience any distortion from this approach. You can use compression on multiple channels and effectively create a “volume priority hierarchy” for your track sounds. Don’t forget to parameter lock for other amazing effects.

One other thought here. I’ve noticed that some put the compressor on the master track. Other than using it to gain up the entire track, I can’t see where it could actually do compression. For my ear, if I just want the track louder and richer, I’ll use a light hand on the Master track filter distortion.

7 Likes

In my opinion there are to many variables to say inserting a compressor on the Master Bus is going to result in a better mix. This is opening a can of worms and to be frank if you’re asking such a question I would suggest you do a bit of reading about the mix stage.

In my opinion there are to many variables to say inserting a compressor on the Master Bus is going to result in a better mix. This is opening a can of worms and to be frank if you’re asking such a question I would suggest you do a bit of reading about the mix stage. [/quote]
Yes you’re right, this is quite a silly question without alot of context :slight_smile:
I’d just like to try one and see for myself but that is not possible without buying one. So I’m looking for people who can share a little experience with them.
I know my way in software for mixing mastering very well though, but lately I’ve been playing alot out of the box and getting a clean mix from within the OT is much harder.

Remember you can adjust the compressor to work on either transients or the entire signal in the set-up screen. When you set it to effect the whole signal you can get some pretty extreme results on a master track.

Typical text-based forums, so many interpretations and I’ve misread yours. Sorry.

1 Like

Yeah, as sausmatoe noted, you can turn off RMS mode so it only comps the peaks, or you can crank RMS mode so it affects the whole track (more like a glue compressor I guess). Also, you can do some pseudo parallel comp with the mix. There’s certainly a noticeable difference w and w/o.

2 Likes

Hmm, I don’t know. It seems counterintuitive to lose one track just for master compression. If I want to change settings, I have to change them in all 30 or so Parts of the project. A pita in the studio, and seems impossible live…

Might be a better idea to get a dedicated compressor. What do you think?

the main issue in regards to effects (and I really don’t like calling it an “issue”) is horsepower…this isn’t an official word but my guess as to why certain tracks can only have certain combinations of effects…it makes sense that if you wanted to put certain effects on every single track (both FX slots) you would crush the processing power of the OT quickly and bring the machine to its knees

for what it’s worth, I mostly run 8 as a master and usually have compression in one of the FX slots

The advantage of the internal OT compressor over a hardware compressor, especially for live use, is that you can have different settings for different songs / parts, which you can’t do easily with a hardware compressor. It also means you have less gear to bring to a live show, which to me is a.big plus.

2 Likes

Hey crypticresonance, as stated above the ability to parameter lock and assign LFOs to the compressor settings are pretty invaluable!

I use a mix of both, I tend to set some parallel compression on the master bus with hardware and then some pretty aggressive compression on my drum THRU track coming from my modular into the OT.

Check this out for some tips http://theproaudiofiles.com/5-tips-for-parallel-compression-on-the-whole-mix/

…the really nice compressor is indeed a really nice compressor…

and it handles sums as good as single signals…

i use the ot compressor on the master track as a buffer for loudness differences and to boost it all with that monster gain up to 7…

works fine…

the really nice compressor can do that job, too…

Old thread I know, but I’ve been enjoying this method recently
Track 8 as master, with Filter on FX1, Compressor on FX2.
Filter has the distortion turned up to about 50
Compressor is set to taste, also 50% RMS, 100% dry wet and then max gain of 10.

Sounds really good on the jungle/DnB stuff Im working on! brings out all the grit in the vinyl samples nicely and squashes the reverbs beautifully.

4 Likes

You might wanna try parallel compression on the OT:

Set rms to minimum
Set the Ratio to maximum
Set the Mix to maximum
Set Attack to minimum
Set the Threshold down, about 40 is a good start point
now turn the Release down, until you hear a very squashed sound, should be barely above minimum stetting
Adjust Release and Threshold to taste, Transiensts should be nicely squashed
Adjust the gain, so that there is no difference in loudness anymore when you turn the mix from maximum to minimum and back
set the mix to minimum and slowly turn it right, so that more and more of the squashed signal is added to the original signal

12 Likes