OT battery packs for Mk1 & Mk2

Hello Forum,

i am searching for a Powerbank (in Europe!!!) to Power the Octatrack MK2 via a Ripcord converter cable.
I have no acces to the Bonai Powerbank which is reported as a working one.
The ones i tried all fail to deliver the right amount of Amperes at the USB Port.
So:
who knows, and uses one - available within Europe - that will do the Job.
Thank you for all Infos :slight_smile:

Cheers

Powergorilla works great for me

I got this

Thinking I will try one of these AC output power banks for my MK1 to get around the 6V concern.
I like that it also has USB power for my U-24 and iPhone, which I’ve been using along with OT a bit lately.

I have this backup AC PSU to use along with it.

1 Like

OT freedom!

1 Like

I’ve got a Mk1 and I bought myself one of those Ripcord 6v and a reasonably cheap 30000mAh USB battery and it is all working great! I’ve used it for over 2h so far and it doesn’t seem to have made a dent in the batteries charge. This is probably a good job though, as the battery is slow to charge.

https://myvolts.com/product/39016/Ripcord_6V_c+ve

1 Like

Use caution.

I worry about current inadequacy and possible long term damage from using the Ripcord which only provides 2A (6V x 2A = 12W), where the OT MK1 is accustomed to 3A (6V x 3A = 18W) .

Also, Ripcord says it isn’t adequate, and a current doubler is in order.
https://myvolts.com/questions/82678/octatrack-mk1-rip-cord

I succeeded in using a 12V battery output to power up my OT once, and just because it made it go didn’t make it safe.

2 Likes

I have been using it for a while via a Ripcord without issue. I am a bit worried now, hmm

Thanks Adam. It’s a bit strange because it specifically says in their faq, not hidden away in a forum, that it is suitable for the octatrack. I wouldn’t have bought it otherwise. Bit sneaky that.

4years i have this one it’s usually rock my needs - it’s very fast to charge. delivers for few hours of goodness

So are you just feeding it 5v with this?

1 Like

Im not an expert in electricity but this one is different you can plug all sort of kitchen devices on the plug under the plastic trap. ( Sortie AC 100W 110V / 220V) The elektron psu make is own thing out of it… then : to convert. I never add issue with it with any of my device as long as there is sufficient juice inside.

You can plug a television in camping (campsite) for instance

1 Like

They say on their website it can’t provide enough current, like they do here

Also check search results Octatrack mk1

They do have a Ripcord for the OT mk2, though.

1 Like

Ah yeah I see. I think I must have read a question further down that is a bit less clear. They start out by saying that the octatrack needs 3a, but there are many users happily using the 6v ripcord. I guess I got that far and got trigger happy, before reading on to the bit that says it is at the users own risk :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Yeah, especially in situations when OT draws high current it could get to a point where the cable could become to hot (I guess it could even catch fire?).

I’m waiting for their current doubler solution which will let us use two power bars with a special cable.

2 Likes

I might take it to work and ask one of my colleagues to measure actual current usage when it’s working hard. If I do I’ll report back

1 Like

In case it’s of interest I’ve been powering mine over the weekend from a big USB battery pack and a myvolts USB cable specified by them for the OT mk2. I’ve just attached this smaller pack to the side. I find velcro is absolutely brilliant for this job on lots of devices.

1 Like

Birdcord adaptor cable here (love their stuff) and Nitecore NB10000 battery, works great, super light weight, and I get hours of use out of the OT that way. Planning on recording my next set deep in the woods int he next week or two, love being able to do that with studio gear :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just saw EZBOT’s battery powered Octatrack. :heart_eyes:

2 Likes