OT and akai s5000

screw gonna control it with the bsp, this ot is a mess

i don’t have an s5000. but it’s a function all those samplers have. when you create a program that consists of samples and keygroups etc you can layer sounds and set up velocity switching same way as the MPC does… you know how you can stack sounds on one pad on an mpc? but they’re layered according to velocity levels?

all this stuff is in the manual i’m sure. the only akai i used was an s2000 which is like a fart of a shadow of an akai s5000. so, do check the manual and learn how to make your own programs/keygroups etc… i forget what akai calls them… i have an emu e6400 which has similar/same features but different names for all of them.

I know how to make groups, make layers, and such, I’ve read the manual… just the OT step sequncer do es not like that… I can set up the pads on my mpc1000 no isses, as well as the bsp… so I know it’s me it is the ot… soemthing different has be done… telling me your an export and telling me to read the manual really isn’t helping I’ve read, the manual is horribly written btw…

i refer to manuals all the time to see if i missed something. it’s not a big deal. just trying to help. i don’t think anyone is trying to give you a hard time it’s just that the details are sometimes in the fine print.

i’ve sequenced everything in my studio w/the octatrack w/o any problems including my emu e6400.

pressing the midi sequencer button on the OT then selecting the midi channel for each midi track on the OT is all it required. i recall the first time i did it though i had some head scratching moments then realized after selecting the midi channel on the OT track i had to hit “enter” or it wouldn’t save the track midi channel assignment.

anyway… good luck.

3 Likes

I’m not aruging this isn’t a emu6400… I have sequenced other devices with my OT, just not going easily with s5000

I think I may got it but now having this issue…

if I record samples directly to unit it plays the back with no issue… but say I take a sample from loop cloud and try to play it back… it’s just quick beeps or quick harsh sound… sounding nothing like the original

I re read the manual… it’s really not that simple with ot and s5000… I found out how to do it but its terribly slow to set up… my work around is you an external keyboard and have the ot sequence it…

Believe it or not I’ve never used the OT to sequence my s5000. I mostly use the 5000 for polyphonic stuff and the OT sequencer isn’t so good for that.

I’ve never had any problem loading a bunch of different programs into different slots in a multi and playing them on different channels from a single sequencer or controller but I’ve never specifically used the OT.

You’ve installed the final S5000/6000 OS (2.14), right? I guess the original release version had a lot of MIDI issues that were addressed in the updates, but it took a while and that was part of the reason they didn’t do as well as the older Akai samplers.

3 Likes

let me say this I di dnt mention I’m
not having difficulty with other hardware… all my mpc gear works great and so does the beat step pro… I’m having issues with the ot only… the mpc and bsp I can assign keys via midi in key group with no issues… this is a keyspan and key group issue I’m having… not assigning multi… I’m having issues of all the notes triggering… I’m not even at the multi step yet and I know dont need to be since the mpc and bsp functions flawlessly before even working on multi

some of you should read the manual before commenting … I’m not trying to be rude but everyone seems to be dissing me… telling me to read the manual or they’re all experts… I’m no expert… its just giving me balls with the ot and I was hoping to have some constructive suggestions… not people saying they have no issues… i specifically ask about the ot… so I’m not sure why people ate telling me about other hardware… I’m not trying to be rude… just on topic… obviously I’m doing something wrong… but obviously I’m not a tard either since I can get my mpc and bsp to work flawlessly with it.

I guess I’m asking specifically for someone that used the ot sequencer with s5000…

I’m getting comments here by experts that haven’t even used this unit… I’m done with forums… people tend to belittle on here more than anything read my original post… I didnt even mention any other gear…

good bye …

way off dude programs on s5000 have nothing to do with my issue… it’s in key group and keyspan settings

dude I know how to sequence with the ot… read my post… up top… its specifically the ot and s5000… I’m setting keyspan to the trigger note on the ot… but what happens is the ot triggers everything at the same time… but that pattern is playing correctly

i wasn’t even talking about you… was just sharing my experience at how i missed them and had to refer to the manual.

you can let it go now. i’m not following this thread as I don’t have any answers for you regarding the s5000

2 Likes

Just trying to help, giving suggestions with common problems.
If it doesn’t work (for you) with OT, use something else!
OT sends standard midi Notes.

Have fun!

never said its ot fault… I’m asking if anyone has found a work around? did I blame the ot? no… fuck what are these forums for… to trouble shoot specific gear… I was hoping to talk to a person that had actually done this not a bunch of whistleblower experts lol

the only work around I found is have only one sample in one multi… in multi you can assign channels… but you also assign keystrokes in keyspan… I just cant get the ot do it… I know I’m doing something wrong

its something simple I’m overlooking… essentially it will work this way… just complicates things in multi menu when I’d rather load kits

This has zero to do with the OT. There is something wrong in the midi receive setup on the s5000. The OT works very much like the Beatstep Pro. If it works with the Beat Step Pro but not the OT then perhaps you are also receiving midi from the OT’s non-midi tracks (these will by default send on channels 1-8 I believe). Past that the two should work the same.

2 Likes

Yeah…Midi from Octatrack is midi like any other midi (Midi specification is there for a reason).

Ok, troubleshooting…

First of all make sure you use a direct midi connection, no interface, midi thru or midi processor between OT and S5000.
In general it‘s always a good idea to double check with gear you know that works.

Do you have a synthesizer you can connect to OT to check if everything works?

In terms of midi sequencing, OT is pretty straight forward.

Check if the midi track is unmuted. Double Tap the Playback/Note Button, use the encoder to set the midi channel. Press the encoder or yes button to confirm the midi channel.
No you should be able to send notes from the sequencer, with chromatic mode (Function + Down) and with a midi controller keyboard (either through the autochannel or the tracks midi channel)

Shouldn‘t be a problem;

To avoid any weird behaviour caused by OTs audio tracks sending midi notes and midi cc to your gear open the project menu (Function + Mixer), go to midi and set audio cc out and audio note out to int.

2 Likes

thanks for the clear explanation. I will again on my days off. Just want to say I have no issues with OT and midi on other devices such as my sp404… ipad and dx7

The issue is the s5000 doesnt need a midi channel set right off the hop it does later in the multi screen… what it has is key groups and keyspan where you set the note for example C3 to a sample (I set up my sp404 and dx7 the same way when sequenceing with ot)… I’ve set the trigs and a midi track on the OT to play C3… but the issue is the ot triggers all the samples… even if I set a different note on the s5000… does this make sense? so C3 might play a snare and A3 playva bass drum… but the ot triggers all the samples

this is my issue… as I said I can do work around and its exactly as your instructions indicate…

I really cant translate or make my issue clearer… I’ve tried:( appreciate the help just not sure why everyone is treating me like I dont know how to use the ot… I’m not specifically saying it is an ot issue… but I believe it’s an issue combined with both devices… this isnt my first rodeo… I’m not trying to be rude… it’s just everyone is helping me as I was a child and I keep saying it’s a keyspan and key group issue… its obvious none one here has used a s5000 by how they are trying to walk me through this trouble shoot… LET me repeat this have no issues with ot and other devices. everyone is telling me to read a manual… before anyone else tries to help… please dont unless you read the s5000 manual or have used it… specifically with the ot… I have ask mods to delete this thread it’s not really going anywhere… peope keep tell me rudimentary trouble shoots that do not apply… it’s a keyspan and keygroup is… read the manual on key groups and keyspan and then comment… to many kids her with their fingers in the jars that are experts at everything… or they think

and this is driving me nuts everyone says it’s a midi channel issue lol… the s5000 doesnt really need channels set till I’m in multi mode… READ about keyspan and keygroup…

typical on this forum everyone is an expert and want a piece of the pie and they’re too busy spewing useless knowledge and not seeing or no anything about whats going on

infact I bet a lot of it cut and pasted from other threads… it’s just the same advice over and over and I’m clearly stating my issue… I’ll state it again keygroup and keyspan on s5000 and getting the ot not trigger all the samples in the keygroup at once… even when the ot is set up play the proper corresponding note matched with a single particular sample

This is how you’re supposed to use the S5000/s6000. It’s not like earlier Akai samplers, the new OS was designed around the idea that you would always be in multi mode. It’s technichally possible to load, edit and audition a program without loading it into a multi but that isn’t really intended to be a performance mode.

If you load or create your programs from the main Multi screen instead of directly from the front panel Program button, you can do everything you’d do in Program mode without actually leaving Multi mode, which means you can edit or create programs without interrupting playback of other programs loaded into the multi.

Apologies if the explkanation is a bit clunky, I haven’t been using the s5000 much for a few months, but the specifics are all in the manual starting on page 37 (actually page 47 of the PDF version).

Also Elektronauts hasn’t displayed a cursor or text selection for me for almost a year now regardless of what computer and browser I use, no idea why, but it means I pretty much write anything I post stream of consiousness sicne editing is a hassle now.

Anyway, there’s almost never a reason to leave multi mode on the 5000.

3 Likes

Hi everyone,

I just got the s5000, and I’ve been controlling it with a Microfreak rather than my Digitakt. Just wondering if OP was ever able to resolve the issue with MIDI.